• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Original 3 speed trans leaking from behind shifter lever.

428kidd

So my Bronco had been sitting since some time in the early 2000s . Got the wiring harness changed and updated and got it running again. So I've probably put maybe a couple hundred miles on it now. So I've noticed now once I'm done on the drive it leaks grease from the trans out the side behind the shifter levers? Is this a easy repair one can do with the trans in or will it need to be removed to fix ? Any help is always needed and welcome! Thanks guys!

Quick & Dirty

There are o-rings on the shift shafts, but the shafts come out from the inside, which means complete disassembly of the transmission.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The seals for the shift levers are on the inside of the transmission. You need to remove the mainshaft to replace them. Essentially disassembling the entire transmission.

(Quick & Dirty types faster than me)

OP
OP

428kidd

Damn it ! Well I will need a clutch eventually anyway so may wait for that time , and keep a pig mat under it for now. It's kind of like a older Harley , if it's leaking it's still got oil in it lol, no dig at Harley either lol.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the gear lube has never been changed now might be a great time.
At least that way whatever leaks out will be clean and not make such a mess!😉😁

OP
OP

428kidd

Dirt, unfortunately it's been changed and clean, damn if it still don't make a mess lol.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Mine has leaked for 25 years. Just a seep more than a leak. It's never left it's mark when parked on concrete. Just more of a mess underneath. I just fixed it the the other day...I swapped to a 5 speed :)

Tim

OP
OP

428kidd

That's another thought I've had! Mine will marks it's spot when I park after a good long drive. Once it does that then it doesn't leak anymore till the next long drive lol.