• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Original color vs non original

Original light Bahama vs Baytree green

• Light bahama

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Baytree green

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Any other solid color

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My bronco is in primer so I can choose color. It is a restomod. Just hung up on changing color (yes I have issues with the bronco colors lol) really like baytree green. Whatever color I choose will be a single stage non metallic. Whatever color all trim will be black.

RH

Black trim go with the green or better yet go light bahama with white trim

TNcowboy

While my vote was to stick with the original color, you ought to go with whatever color you want and not be influenced by the crowd.

You only need to please an audience of one.....yourself

But...Make sure to post pictures whatever you decide

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While my vote was to stick with the original color, you ought to go with whatever color you want and not be influenced by the crowd.

You only need to please an audience of one.....yourself

But...Make sure to post pictures whatever you decide

Cowboy, I am totally conflicted between the two lol. I agree the white trim looks good, but not my thing.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I think the Bahama Blue will look fine with black trim. I like green but the green you're looking at is a bit too "in your face" for me. I prefer Legend Lime for that family of green. (As you can see in my avatar, Lunar Green is my fav!)

TNcowboy

If you have a little time before paint why not get some really good pictures of both.....maybe someone here can post theirs with those colors...and live with them for a week or so to see which one rises to the top. It'll make you more comfortable with your decision

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you have a little time before paint why not get some really good pictures of both.....maybe someone here can post theirs with those colors...and live with them for a week or so to see which one rises to the top. It'll make you more comfortable with your decision

I have plenty of time. Don’t know how many are old enough to remember the Sears Christmas catalog, but autocolorlibrary.com is my Christmas catalog. Hence my problem, love all the colors.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And pretty much any non-metallic color (even ugly ones!) looks good on a Bronco!
It's as tough a decision as you'll likely ever have to make. Not the "do I change it" decision, but the "what color do I change it to" decision.

I see no reason to keep an original color on a Bronco unless you like it. It has almost zero to do with future value, and if you're not selling it then screw future value for now. With the "not selling any time soon scenario", then by the time you do sell it the rig is probably going to need new paint again anyway. And then you, or the new owner can decide whether it should go back to original or not.

Yes, collector car values depend a lot on originality. But Broncos are not there yet in spite of their increasing values to collectors. These are not '67 L88 Corvettes with "Pomona 1968 Championships" decals on the side with race fuel stains marring the original black paint. They're still just poor little 'ol utility vehicle orphans from Ford.;);D
Original paint? Yes, a little. Original color? Not so much.

New paint sells Broncos no matter what color they are. Original in fantastic shape will open eyes and wallets, original paint with patina less so, unless it's a collectible in other ways too.
New paint sells no matter what color unless it's just a fugly color on a Bronco. If it looks good and even remotely Bronco-like, it does nothing but enhance the value. And as a restomod in primer it sounds like you're way beyond the original paint stage.
Doesn't sound as much like you're wanting to sell it soon as you are just not sure about painting any older vehicle anything but it's original color?
I would paint it like you want.

Now unfortunately, you "only" have to decide what you want...%)

Paul

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Scoop I like green. Paul the rig will not be sold by me and will go to my older son one day. He drove the bronco in high school. I posted the poll because I know you guys like these trucks as much and it will help me decide. There is that small voice that says original color, only because I am bronco “nut”. Going over to autoclorlibrary to check out Scoop’s colors.

navi

Mine '73 is not original paint but it's close to Seapine green, I like the darker look. Does your son get a vote?

quic

Contributor
My son said when he inherits my 67 barracuda he was going to paint it purple, so im leaving it to his sister, lol

TheLimeRanger

its all in the eye of the beholder. would i have picked "samoa lime" if i walked into the dealership in 1974? probably not, but i will never change the color. to me, the original color is part of its charm.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When my neighbor's cousin drove up in her brand new '66 Marlin fastback in look-at-me pink (never even thought of it being a Mary Kay car, and just assumed it was factory?), we all agreed it was a crazy color. But not one of us could actually say it was ugly or that we'd never ride in it, or would change a thing. And now looking back it was actually a pretty cool car and pretty much an appropriately wild sixties color.
Still, it was shocking to see that much pink on that body style.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
its all in the eye of the beholder. would i have picked "samoa lime" if i walked into the dealership in 1974? probably not, but i will never change the color. to me, the original color is part of its charm.

yeah, original is sometimes well a lot of times pretty cool..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
When my neighbor's cousin drove up in her brand new '66 Marlin fastback in look-at-me pink (never even thought of it being a Mary Kay car, and just assumed it was factory?), we all agreed it was a crazy color. But not one of us could actually say it was ugly or that we'd never ride in it, or would change a thing. And now looking back it was actually a pretty cool car and pretty much an appropriately wild sixties color.
Still, it was shocking to see that much pink on that body style.

if we only knew then what we know now right....

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Right Dave, if we only knew. I think I will put all the colors in a hat and draw one.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
If I were going to go for a solid green...I'd go Grabber Green. Throw a special decor black stripe on it for a that boss-ish look.

I do love that solid blue color though. The grabber Green I think is what Gumby's Bronco was on here. Herman something aruther was his name.