• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

overheating problems!!!

BroncGuy7710

Loc.
Louisville Ky
Since i've owned my bronco i don't think she has EVER otten above 180degrees. Millin around the badlands all day, never shuttin her off and playin with either the pedal or the brake to the floor, i still couldn't get her above 180. Now for some reason if i am sitting in traffic for more than about 5 minutes she shoots up to about 210! i dunno how hot she would get if i continued to sit there. any suggestions?
Thanks alot ahead of time,
Tyler

ps. going to be adding a hood scoop soon. any suggestions?

bannind

My first question would be, what has changed lately? Have you added or removed anything? Also, I would assume you have checked the radiator for airflow obstruction. I know those are probably stupid questions, but if it has worked fine in the past - gotta start with what might have changed.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

kontinu

Loc.
mount holly
check the fluid level
I had a loose belt one time and it was'nt spinning the fan, it overheated.
sometimes mine will shoot up and then level off, kinda like the thermostat sticks-heats up -then opens
just keep a bottle of antifreeze n water in your truck in case

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
T stat going bad, sending unit going bad, when was the last time the radiator was flushed? if its close to 10 years it may need a good flush or even rodded out to clean out the buildup. You might check the timing to over the years the timing chain may have worn and caused the timing to change which could make it run hot. Also a Sticking choke could do it also.
Oh forgot to add bad radiater cap.

Last edited:

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
broncnaz said:
T stat going bad, sending unit going bad, when was the last time the radiator was flushed? if its close to 10 years it may need a good flush or even rodded out to clean out the buildup. You might check the timing to over the years the timing chain may have worn and caused the timing to change which could make it run hot. Also a Sticking choke could do it also.

I also lean towards a bad Thermostat, or a clogged up radiator

Mine was running hot in traffic, so I flushed and refilled my radiator. I could tell the therostat was opening. That didn't help as it still ran hot in traffic. So I replaced my radiator, and even went from a 160 to a 180 thermostat and now it never goes above 190

When your engine is cold remove the radiator cap, and start the truck up. Depending on your thermostat watch the coolant and see if it is moving. If you have a 160 degree stat you should start seeing it move around there, if you have a 180 it will start to flow around 180 degrees. Rev the motor a little and see if flows faster.

That will tell you if the waterpump and thermostat are working