• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

random overheating problems? HELP

kontinu

Loc.
mount holly
I recently have been having reandom overheating problems. This is the second time it's happened. It was 8 degrees out the first time it happened. Temp just ran up and then fluid just exploded everywhere. Now today being about 35-38degrees out I started it up let it run for a few minutes then took it about a mile to the car wash.I just checked the antifreeze collant level in the radiator and it was full before I started it. I washed it then started home about 1 minute from home I noticed the temp was up there and it was going to overheat. I pulled into my driveway opened the hood and a few seconds later it got all crazy and fluid came out or the radiator? Now I have taken it out 4wheeling and drove it a few times since this happened the first time. It's not freezing out and the fluid was full so why would it overheat. By the way its a new thermostat that was put in over the summer.

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Sounds like a sticking thermostat . I had one do something similar a few weeks ago when it was -20 . I suggest a longer warm up period before you start driving when it's cold .

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Replace the thermostat, it's cheap and easy. If that doesn't cure it, there are other possible reasons for intermittent overheating, but they're not nearly as likely as a bad thermostat.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
kontinu said:
should i just replace the thermostat or is there something i can do.

yes, get a new balanced thermostat and start there. they are cheap, compared to the cost of fixing an overheater engine.

OP
OP
kontinu

kontinu

Loc.
mount holly
it never overheated during the summer. I just went out and put some fluid in it and realized theres no belt on the engine :eek: i'm sure thats why it overheated.