• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless Wiring Issue

ptwist

So I have everything hooked up and I have trouble shot all of the accessory wires with no issues. I was able to start the truck but it would not shut off with the key. I have think I hooked everything up by the book so where should I be looking for issues?

eric0o1

What alternator are you running? With the engine still running & with the key turned off, try unplugging the alternator/regulator. If the engine dies there is back feed from the alternator, it can be resolved by a diode. I will explain further if this is the issue, but I hardly ever see it with a Ford charging system.

What ignition system are you running? What is connected to the positive side of the coil?

OP
OP
ptwist

ptwist

That might be the alternator.

It has an AC delco alternator. (Wired per manual)
Some junkie HEI distributor with a built in coil. (#920 to the coil)

Millercorey

Does it shutoff when you pull the battery? I recently did a painless harness install and had the same thing happen. Check your connections at the starter solenoid. Probably have the two pins sticking up at you wired backwards.

OP
OP
ptwist

ptwist

No the truck would not shut off when the battery was pulled.

I ordered the diode and will get it installed as soon as it gets in.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the alternator is working then everything would continue to run without the battery, even under normal conditions.

Sounds like you've got a plan of action, but curious for our info which orientation are you using for your alternator's charge wire?
Using the Black w/yellow through the ammeter, or directly to the battery with a larger gauge wire typically used with more powerful alternators?

Paul

OP
OP
ptwist

ptwist

Eric,
The diode got it fixed, thanks for all the help.

Paul,
I’m running the black with yellow wire. What would be the advantage/difference for running the other method?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No advantage with a stock alternator, or one up to 70a. However, anything above that and you need to change the routing to a more direct method as described in their instructions.

With a 70a to 100a version, you can upgrade to their included 10ga(I think?) Red wire routed directly to the starter relay's battery side.
Anything above 100a and you have to up-size that one more time to a battery cable-sized 6ga or 4ga wire and fuse assembly. Again, wired directly to the battery or starter relay, and this one not included in the kit.

So what alternator are you using?

Paul

eric0o1

all of that Alternator info is about to change, I've got the paperwork on the harness changed, just need to modify the instructions/diagrams. The next batch built will have some significant changes to the harness. I'm thinking next week I'll update my original thread with the changes I've made.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the heads-up Eric. Appreciate that.
I'll try to update ours as soon as the new info becomes available. So we can look like we're on the ball about this stuff too!:cool:;D

Paul