• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Painless wiring issue

tpep3

Loc.
Elmhurst, IL
So I installed a painless harness on the bronco. The issue I am having is that when I turn on the ignition the turn signals, park lights and brake lights flash as if the hazards were on. When I turn the hazards on it flashes faster. The headlights, brake lights, wipers, ignition all seem to work fine. Interestingly the radio doesn’t seem to b working either. Thx.

Tom

D.R.Y.

Loc.
The Netherlands
Interesting, I haven't got that far on my install yet. If anything comes to mind I will get back to you. Sure someone else will contribute, I will be following this post. Sorry I was not much help

eric0o1

I would start by unplugging the hazard switch connector and then turning the ignition on, if it the lights don't flash when the ignition is turned on, then you know the issue is at the switch, the pin out of the switch, or an issue with one of the wires going to the switch.

If you lights continue to flash with the hazard connector unplugged, unplug the turn signal connector and see if that will keep the lights from flashing. Once we know where the issue is, we can figure out how to fix it

The red #941 radio wire didn't accidentally get connected to the brake switch or hazard switch did it?

OP
OP
T

tpep3

Loc.
Elmhurst, IL
Thx Eric. I will try that today. I put in some more grounds and the radio is working now. Will try to mess with the turn signal switch and see what I get later today.

OP
OP
T

tpep3

Loc.
Elmhurst, IL
By the way, this harness is great. I am a car idiot and can do this with the great instruction book. Well done.

Attac

Contributor
When I installed my first painless I called them about 10 times. They always told me to check the grounds. They reiterated the grounds especially after a new paint job is usually the culprit. You have to make yourself use a burnishing brush and ground everything. I have seen all kinds of weird things happen that are completely unrelated to the part I am testing because of bad grounds. I did my second painless this year and I grounded everything to everything. Not one problem.
Eric will get you fixed on here or just call them. Their customer service is great
Chuck

eric0o1

I assume all the turn signals and everything functioned as it all should have before the re-wire? (Trying to rule out a bad turn signal switch)

Being a '74 you used the turn signal pigtail supplied with the kit, correct? If we assume the turn signal switch is good, lets first check the pin out of the pigtail that was supplied with the harness. It should be assembled as shown below. We are specifically looking to make sure the blue wire is where it is supposed to be since that is the power wire from the flasher to the turn signal switch.

Also, make sure the connector on the harness the pigtail plugs into was assembled correctly, a picture of that connector pin out can be seen on p.79 of the manual.

EB TURN PIGTAIL.jpg

OP
OP
T

tpep3

Loc.
Elmhurst, IL
It all seems to be wired correctly. The signal switch is new so I am going to change that out. Certainly didn’t seem like there were any issues when I was putting it in. Will let u know f that doesn’t work. Thx.

eric0o1

did you check pin out of the connector on the turn signal switch itself; the connector at the column that the pigtail plugs into?

Before replacing anything, if you have an ohm meter, test continuity of the blue wire with any of the other wires of the turn signal switch.

OP
OP
T

tpep3

Loc.
Elmhurst, IL
Both pin outs seem correct. I will test the wires tonight. Do I need to do anything with the gear indicator wire?

eric0o1

if you don't have a gear indicator light, just install one of the insulated butt splices from the parts kit on the end of it, that will keep it from shorting out. It can also be used to provide back light power to any aftermarket gauges you might have.

OP
OP
T

tpep3

Loc.
Elmhurst, IL
I replaced the turn signal switch and everything seems to be working as it should. Thx for all your help.

Tom

eric0o1

Great to hear, sorry I didn't get back sooner but I was out of the office yesterday and didn't set a reminder to check this thread.