• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parchment sport floor mat.

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
There's a thread here that I did not keep a link to. I think it came up again just a month or two ago.
We were discussing using vinyl dye paint in a spray can, and finally someone got tired of waiting for the rest of us, and just up and did it themselves.
If I remember, it did not come out precisely like they had wanted, but most of us thought it came out super!
I bought three different colors of SEM vinyl dye to see if I could get it somewhat close to an original. Just don't have time to set up the mats in a relatively clean area and start spraying.
Hey DirtDonk, your lucky to have weather to spray at all unless you have a controlled area, up here we're fastly going through fall into winter, ? Did you happen to remember if they'd had the blue color for the Explorer?

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think I know someone who is housing an NOS blue mat? But maybe he sold it?

I do think I’ll sem a black mat and see how it looks. I have nos sections of a 77 mat I trimmed plus several other swatches of “parchment “ mat .... I do see variations in the oriuginals I’ve had... so dying one gives you some artistic license. as long as you aren’t trying to match an original or rear mat you should emerge unscathed abs cheery.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey DirtDonk, you’re lucky to have weather to spray at all unless you have a controlled area, up here we're fastly going through fall into winter.
Yep, the weather is very cooperative here.
Or, as mom used to say, it’s very “polite “ here.
Did you happen to remember if they'd had the blue color for the Explorer?
Did Ford have that color? Or does the new manufacturer have that color?
If Ford, yes, there was a blue that I have seen once or twice. Sounds like Andrew needs to check on the NOS one!
But as far as Dennis Carpenter? Nope. At least not at this point.
If they ever do come out with colored ones, they will probably cost a fortune!

Now that you mention it, I think I was going to put a little bit of a pale blue highlight on mine.
But I only bought parchment, and near parchment colors.
Dang. Now I have to go back and look at the available blue colors in the spray paint!

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Thank you, let me know what you find and yes, I meant the new manufacturer ones! I'm still trying to figure why my thing's always cost a fortune!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Speaking of rare and special… As in, never came from the factory that way, I’d be first to put my hat in the ring for matching rear wheel well covers.
Same for the tailgate.

The carpet came that way, but I don’t remember ever seeing that feature in a mat.
When trying to silence the deafening noise inside a bronco cabin, covering the wheel wells with something is a good way to achieve that.
Easy to do with carpet. Not so easy with the mats or finding a matching material.
You have to custom make some thing.

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Speaking of rare and special… As in, never came from the factory that way, I’d be first to put my hat in the ring for matching rear wheel well covers.
Same for the tailgate.

The carpet came that way, but I don’t remember ever seeing that feature in a mat.
When trying to silence the deafening noise inside a bronco cabin, covering the wheel wells with something is a good way to achieve that.
Easy to do with carpet. Not so easy with the mats or finding a matching material.
You have to custom make some thing.
Mark supposedly had a Customer with one and suppose to be in good shape but I couldn't afford it. I'm looking to HC anyhow that's why I was interested in the new mats. My old tablet that died had all my pictures so I can't share with you the Blue Explorer cab that had my colors and the Blue Mat, LUBr LuvR was telling me, I think, it was a Sport! I think! As far as the quit DirtDonk, I'm deaf anyhow!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used to refer to them all as “sport mats” because they were available full coverage in sports.
Did not have to be an explorer to get the mat.
In 72 explorers were in fact sport models. The way I understand it, For 73 and later they were just explorers.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always assumed that sport mats were all parchment only, while explorers got them color-coordinated.

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
That is the way I under stand it but when talking with Mark and his customer had a mat maybe it wasn't a 74. I think I'd rather go new anyhow but I'd just like to get the color's started back to what they were or atleast close with the mat that's why I was asking about the paint. I guess I should start with the mat.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
There's a thread here that I did not keep a link to. I think it came up again just a month or two ago.
We were discussing using vinyl dye paint in a spray can, and finally someone got tired of waiting for the rest of us, and just up and did it themselves.
If I remember, it did not come out precisely like they had wanted, but most of us thought it came out super!
I bought three different colors of SEM vinyl dye to see if I could get it somewhat close to an original. Just don't have time to set up the mats in a relatively clean area and start spraying.
This does look like a pretty easy solution for 1/2 price. https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/parchment-sport-mat.316210/

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
I see that Dennis Carpenter is now reproducing the front portion of the Parchment Sport floormat. However they don't appear to be making the rear portion. Will they be making it? The front is pretty worthless without the rear. Anybody have any info?.... Mark in San Diego, Beach City Broncos.
I seen them carring it!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They had a rear on display at one of the shows, but we haven’t received any purchase information on them yet.
Are you saying you see it on their website?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
It’s there….
640562e18f8779659b4c14947b91138a.jpg

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
They had a rear on display at one of the shows, but we haven’t received any purchase information on them yet.
Are you saying you see it on their website?
Yes as it shows below, also BGBronco sent me a message with Sem color coat to color it actually he sent it to you but I got it also.

Last edited:

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
I am only doing halfcab but thinking if I ever go back to wagon I should get both rear and front, that way when coloring it, it's done all at one time and the cost would probably be half. Would anyone happen to know what color name the mats were in the 74 Wind Blue Explorer or the Brook or Gabbarb? bam was using the vinyl paint and it looks really good!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just thinking of you this weekend at the Swap Meet at WH...
IMG_2123.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was that a stock material for any year model? Looks to have been redone at some point. But it was a good looking blue, so thought of your project.

Paul

MThalfcab

Contributor
Living the Poor Life
Loc.
Yaak, Montana
Hey Paul,
Sure nice to be thought of and wished I was with you, I'm pretty certain that from what I've seen it's a redone but looks very nice, which Jack and Mary would know more, I'm going to get a new mat and been looking at the vinyl paint, I'm thinking of almost a ford woodwedge blue, it's a bit lighter and kind of goes with the armrest on that back seat, how much was the backseat? You guys are so lucky to have these swap meets:)
Oh sorry I just seen the price tag, I think that's a pretty good price I probably would had bought it

Last edited: