• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pertronix ignitor for '69? Bronco rookie

zUncut69z

I've had my bronco for about 10yrs, but haven't done much to it. Bronco starts, but doesn't turn over smoothly 100% of the time. Thinking of installing a pertronix ignitor. Is this an easy install if I get the kit from Wild Horses or Tom's? Are there any threads where the install has been addressed on a '69? Any info. is greatly appreciated.

Matt

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Welcome to CB.

Explain more about why your eb doesn't start well.

The Pertronix ignitor is definitely DIY.
Guys here can help you if you get in a jam with it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronco starts, but doesn't turn over smoothly 100% of the time.

Hey Matt, welcome from here too!
Like bronconut said though, some more info would be helpful just for our own edification. Not that it would change the Pertronix being a good idea, but still curious just what your Bronco is doing.
Half of us use "turn over" to mean the same as "cranking" with the starter. While another half of us use "turn over" as the act of actually firing up or starting to run on it's own. Similar to the British use of the phrase "tick over" to indicate firing up. But because many of us think of turning over as cranking, knowing what you're referring to might help diagnose a simple problem somewhere else.

On that other phrase, about 95% of us use the term "cranking" (or "crank") to indicate that the starter is spinning, or turning the engine over. The other 5% use crank to indicate the engine actually firing up.

It just helps to be on the same page when "working remotely" like we are.;D

Thinking of installing a pertronix ignitor. Is this an easy install if I get the kit from Wild Horses or Tom's?

Yep, very easy as long as you're not too intimidated by small wiring tasks and messing about inside a distributor. Have you ever done that kind of stuff (full tune-ups and stuff like that) yourself?
If so, an Ignitor install is fairly straight forward.

One thing they may or may not mention in the instructions though, is to verify that your distributor is at least still in good shape. Doesn't do as much good to put new parts in a totally worn out distributor with floppy shaft.

Are there any threads where the install has been addressed on a '69? Any info. is greatly appreciated.

Probably, but I don't have any saved for reference. Sometimes (well, most of the time) using a Google search method rather than the weaker search function here on the forums is the better way. Just google something like "site: classicbroncos.com pertronix install in Ford distributor" or something like that. I don't remember if my use of the "site:" tool is the correct wording, but someone here will know.

Basically though, any Pertronix Ignitor install in ANY Ford distributor from about '55 to '75" is going to look the same. Or at least close to it. In one of the few instances of Ford keeping things consistent, all Ford 289/302/351 Windsor distributors are the same unit at the main body area. The shaft size, length and other parameters changed, but the same caps, rotors, points and condensers were either used, or different ones were used in a similar orientation and size. So the Ignitors fit a LOT of Ford distributors.
In other words, if you only find a video for a '69 427FE engine install, check it out anyway as it's likely going to show you 99% of what you need to know about it. And the instructions will do the rest.
And as was said, we can get you the rest of the way.

Good luck!

Paul

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Directions that come with it are pretty easy to follow. I added their Flamethrower Coil at the same time. I was very please with the results, the motor did start and idle better.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I have one in my '69 289, like others have said, easy install. Been running great for ~10 years now. It sure is nice not to have to adjust points anymore.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's the best part of all. With my '71 it got so bad towards the end that I was replacing points and condensers in not much more than 5,000 miles. Almost every time i changed the oil!
I think that somehow my resistor wire failed (though not sure how it fails this way) and never reduced the voltage. I could measure 12v at the coil at pretty much any time no matter how long the engine had been running. OK for an Ignitor, but not so much for points.
Finally converted to electronic (Dura Spark on that particular Bronco) and never looked back!

Still, an Ignitor would be nice just for the easy road/trail fix of reinstalling the points if needed.
My next ignition is either going to be a Max-Fire distributor, or just go big and go full DIS instead. Both now available from the Holley/MSD/Mallory folks.

Paul