• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Plastic bushing

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
The plastic bushing that inserts in the top of the shifter eye on a automatic trans column. How would you press that in without damaging it? Any ideas. Thanks in advance

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Back to the top for you.
I’ve never done it, though it’s a common replacement part. I’ve heard some stories about it, and sometimes it seems difficult.
Hopefully someone who has done it multiple times will see this and pop in with their experiences.

Beau Nugget

Contributor
Loc.
NE Kansas
If it’s anything like the bushings I installed on my three speed column shift (which seems possible if not likely) it’s a real S.O.B. I eventunally just kept pushing/smashing it into the hole it was supposed to go in and it finally did. I assumed I would have -probably destroyed it, but the bushing regained its former shape once installed. Maybe there’s a better way to do it, but that’s what I did

OP
OP
brad smith

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
My idea is: post pics.

You should also add ALL your truck's details to your signature so we know what you're working on.
Hey man. Sorry for not posting pics. I’m not sure I have paid to be able to post pics. The bushing is the one on the rod going from the steering column to the neutral safety switch that puts the trans in PRND etc. tell me again what I need to do to post some pics. Thanks

OP
OP
brad smith

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
I’m sorry I thought I had all my info on my truck. How do you go about doing that. I tried going to my profile but I could see where you add your details. Thank you

Beau Nugget

Contributor
Loc.
NE Kansas
Is this what your bushings look like? These are the ones I got into a fight with.

Attachments

• IMG_1238.png
    IMG_1238.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 21

Beau Nugget

Contributor
Loc.
NE Kansas
My advice would be to lube it up and try to press it into the hole. (insert “that’s what she said joke here”). Good luck

OP
OP
brad smith

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
My advice would be to lube it up and try to press it into the hole. (insert “that’s what she said joke here”). Good luck
Easier said than done. If I had an offset pliers set it would help. But when you squeeze the bushing the other side of your pliers is fighting you. Lol

Beau Nugget

Contributor
Loc.
NE Kansas
I know it. It’s been a while since I replaced mine and I still remember what a bastard it was. My bushing was all deformed with my install efforts But it regained its shape once it snapped into place. Keep trying. You’ll get it

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I’m not sure I have paid to be able to post pics. ... tell me again what I need to do to post some pics.
Upload them to an image-hosting service somewhere so they're available online. Then add the pic URL to your post between IMG tags (or click the image/video icon above the post-text field and follow the prompts). I don't pay to post pics, either.

I'm adding spaces to this so you can see the code:
[im g]htt ps://ww w.super motors.net/getf ile/823 71/full size/ship-e ngine.jpg[/i mg]

This is what it produces without those spaces:
ship-engine.jpg

This will take you directly to your signature here:

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you warm it up a little that might help