• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Source for Steering Column Plastic Sleeve 76-77

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure what its called and been looking at the vendors for the part and not having luck.

The plastic sleeve the slides into the steering column housing has plastic tabs to hold it in place. Mine are all broken and it keeps sliding out.

Anyone know where I can source this and what its called?

Thanks,

Attachments

• InkedIMG_3316_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_3316_LI.jpg
    952.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot 2023-07-13 133332.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-13 133332.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 32

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those became very hard to find, to completely unavailable, several years ago.
It’s just a bearing retainer/collar and has been replaced with a metal unit with screws. A couple of different designs in fact. From mild to wild.
Look up the column lower bearing from any of the vendors, including us at wild horses, and you should see what’s available as a replacement.
Some will be part of a kit, including the bearing. Others will be just a retainer.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you want to keep trying to find a stock plastic replacement, look at LMC truck perhaps.
And don’t limit it to just the early bronco, but also use the full-size 78 and 79 Bronco as your source donor as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, that’s the dude.
Interesting though as it’s a different picture than I remember. Maybe the part has changed yet again.
I don’t see the three anchoring screws on the outside perimeter anymore. I wish we had multiple angles on that item so we better gauge it.

But “lower bearing“ is the correct part.
I’m going to check just to make sure there isn’t a separate retainer now.
Got to be sure… Too many changes, too often, now that many original parts aren’t as available as they used to be.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, that should be all you need. Replaces the bearing and the plastic cover/retainer. As previously discussed.