• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering box washer question

Tyeti

This is probably a silly question...

I bought a modified Delphi pump from Wild Horses 4:1 quick turn and mounted to my frame as I am reassembling.

I put the washers on the inside of the frame with the locking nuts but it seems the directions say to put them on the bolt side (though unclear). Seemed to make more sense to put them on the frame side since the bolts are against the pump.

Was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on this or if it mattered...

My frame is in good shape and I was not planning to add a reinforcing plate to spread the force on the inside of frame.

I also assume all bolts are supposed to go in same direction with the bolt head on the outer side of the frame against the pump.

Thanks!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The steering pump mounts to the engine. The steering box mounts to the frame.

I've never seen washers between the bolts and steering box.

OP
OP
T

Tyeti

Sorry yes, steering box. The washers came with the hardware kit and were mentioned in the directions... Definitely did not have on my manual setup that it came with.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Sorry yes, steering box. The washers came with the hardware kit and were mentioned in the directions... Definitely did not have on my manual setup that it came with.

One of the boxes sold by the vendors has the holes slotted so they'll align with the factory holes in the frame. If that's the steering box you're using, I can see adding the washers to make up for the slotted holes.