• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

power steering pump gone wrong

blue bronco66

Loc.
ocean county n.j.
since i did my engine rebuild, my pump has been whinning non stop. i have bled it several times jacking it up and turning it end to end 30 or so times holding it for a couple of seconds each way. still whines. i over filled it, then it stopped for a day or two but it came back. went for a 40 mile drive today. got home and parked it for four hours.then i started it up to bring her to her stable. after parking it and shutting it off, i hear fluid leaking on the floor. it was comming from pump, but it was leakin frothy out of the dipstick tube. now it wasnt leaking at all until i fired it up cold. this happened one other time.
is the pump bad? has anyone had this happen?
help!!

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
What kind of pump is it..You might drain out the fluid and add new . At my old work we had a service where we charged you about $108.00 to drain out the old fluid all it amounted to was takin the return to a dump bucket and the new fluid could either be poured into the top as it ran or sucked in though the other hose. I'd just drain out the old add new ATF+4 & add some Lucus P/S fluid but not completely Lucus. I've seen the Lucus stop several whinns. BG Chemical is the one we used at work I just haven't used it on a personal rig.

OP
OP
blue bronco66

blue bronco66

Loc.
ocean county n.j.
ok ive bled this thing 5 times and it still comes out the dipstick tube all frothy like. im giving up. i want to buy a saginaw but was wondering if i can use the old lines from my cannister type with it.