• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Pump Replacement

SamD

My original Thompson power steering pump just started leaking from the seal around the can so I guess I will replace it with a Saginaw pump. Tom’s has a kit that comes with the tensioner bracket, new hoses, and belt. Can I use my existing tensioner bracket, hoses, and belt?

Sam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Sam .. it's a good time to step up to the Saginaw pump. It's a much stronger pump than the Thompson. Now if yours is a Maul Queen THEN THE THOMPSON will get the job done.
But I had a friend who wanted his to stay stock. I kept telling him he needed the Saginaw .
But we went to the ranch In New Mexico & he drove / wheeled all day .. about 2 PM his puked the fluid out ,several times. HOT. Normal in my opinion .
Next year he had the Sag pump & alls fine.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Tensioner bracket will work fine. OEM hose can be used with the correct $7.00 adapter.

Belt will be a toss up. I would buy the pump, mounting bracket, and adapter for the hose, re-use the tensioning bracket, and try to re-use the belt. If the belt ends up not working, get one at a local autopart store the correct length.

OP
OP
SamD

SamD

That’s what I will do. Thanks for the advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk