• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering pump replacement

Kbpony

My ‘77 power steering pump seems to be on the way out. Once warmed up, I can hardly turn at idle. If this indicates a different problem, somebody please chime in. Anyway, I have a PS pump out of an ‘89 mustang sitting in my shop that came on the engine. I need to confirm it will bolt into my bracket, and if so, is there any reason not to use it as a replacement? It resembles the newer style pumps used ‘78 and up on the trucks with the larger diameter cap/dipstick and plastic tank vs the original metal one with the skinny tube & dipstick. Opinions? Thanks!

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the W.H. pump, screams just like the original Ford pump:mad:

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
x3 on the saginaw pump. I swapped out the stocker on my 90 for a saginaw many years ago. It killed the whine & turns 35s easily on pavement. It's my favorite upgrade. It worked so well that I'm going to run a sag on the 73 & 79 too.

OP
OP
K

Kbpony

Is there any good way to flush the box? I have never had a cooler-which might be why the pump died?

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
SAFETY GLASSES then out put line of pump into a 5 gal bucket, input line (fully submerged) in a 5 gal bucket, full of new fluid. I am not saying it will take 5 gal, and I am not saying to use p/s fluid, hydro fluid or ATF.

Jack up front of vehicle so tires are off the ground, lock to lock a few times. great time to add a cooler.