• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PS fluid? or automatic tranny fluid?

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
PS fluid or transmission fluid?

my PS pump on my '69 on the dip stick says to use automatic transmission fluid? was just checking to see if this is indeed a good idea or if i should be using regular PS fluid, which i was also using regular PS fluid on my automatic '71 which i just assumed was what i needed to use, however the PO had a bottle of tranny fluid under the hood which i can only assume he was using in the PS pump.

which ATF should i use?

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Don't answer his question as he posted in the wrong section. Oh well, what rhe others have said, with rhe older PS they just used tranny fluid.

turbotim2

Odd timing for this post. I stopped by the KRC steering booth at SEMA last week to discuss their pump on my Bronco. Topic turned to fluid. In speaking with the company President manning the booth, he was adamant about using dedicated PS fluid in their systems. Odd, as every current OEM specs ATF. My thinking would be that ATF can not have extreme pressure additives due to sprag/roller clutch function. Perhaps PS fluid has those additives which would be beneficial to steering box gear life. Also, PS systems operate at over 1200 PSI, C4 line pressure is < 300 PSI

FYI. http://www.cardone.com/tech-help/st...t-all-power-steering-fluids-are-created-equal

Just amazing what folks with absolutely no depth of knowledge will volunteer.

Good link. I found this part of particular interest:

"Currently there are no API (American Petroleum Institute) standards established for power steering fluid which is why there are so many questionable brands out there. The only standards you can trust today come from the O.E."