• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pull headers before pulling engine?

PDQ

Contributor
302 engine with 4 spd, long tube headers- older style, unknown mfg. Do I pull them before pulling the engine or can I leave them on?
Same question for the reinstall.

Thanks as always.

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Pull headers

PDQ,

For safety sake to not ding the firewall and grille, it would be best to remove the headers. The same goes for reinstall, install the headers after engine is back in. I had long tubes on mine before the restoration began and could not imagine trying to pull the engine with the headers in place. Good Luck.

v/r,

SevenT

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have unbolted my long tubes and left them in the bay, then dropped the engine back in between them. Way too much stuff in a small space to deal with them otherwise.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Can't say. Different manufacturers build headers differently and thus they fit different. What works for one manufacturer can be completely different than a different manufacturer.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I know that on one side, my Hooker headers had to be installed from below. I can't see how you could get it out in one chunk.
Maybe if they were shorties you could.