• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

QUESTION for Automotive painters .

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
He you painter ..Question as It's been about 25year since I had my automotive store where I sold a lot of body paint & supplys .
I plan to paint one of my pick-ups this summer . & It has a Western Hauler flat bed on it.
.... So my question is I want to use bed liner rolled on on the Bed. SO THE AREA between the back of the cab & the front of the flat bed.. I'm planing to put Bed Liner on both the bed & the back of the cab.
I CAN TAKE IT TO THE car wash & use a lot of soap & water to get it clean . But what's the best stuff to put on the metal to keep the cab or bed from wanting to peel.
.... Do I just wash it ... & roll it or Wash it & then go home & roll around on the ground with a sheet of sand paper . trying my best to reach as much as I can & then go back to the car wash & wash it clean once more.
Or do I try & wipe it clean with a white rag & lacquer thinner.
Or Is there still a can of spray thinner that I sold to spray around the door hinges & hard to get to areas . ...
... Hope that clear ..I'll try & read & add or correct the spots that are a little muddy.
Guy this question will also help you guys keep the paint from flaking around our hinges on the doors or tailgates on our BRONCOS when you need to paint them.
Thanks .

AC932

Contributor
Sand it. Only way to really get clean enough. Then I use lacquer thinner on a rag over the whole thing. Primer it with rattle cans, then before painting over the primer, I wipe the entire surface with a CLEAN hand.

For hard to get places, I use lacquer thinner in empty squirt bottles.

Car wash soap will probably have wax in it, so you should wash it before sanding.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
DANG I'D NEVER thought of car wash soap having wax in it.
But in todays world ... strange things do occur . Thanks for that one .

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Dawn dish soap {original} is good for cleaning and degreasing ,,sand DA with 80 grit ,,,clean again wax and grease remover,,epoxy prime ,,,wait 48 hr and apply raptor liner no later then the 5th day ...SPI epoxy primer is about the best you can get..

]

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
EPB72.
iF I'M USING THE 4 INCH FLOPPY DISK SANDING DISK.
tHEY COME IN 36 . 60.. 120.. & I'm just striping off old paint on this 1/4 thick metal Western Hauler bed. THE BED LINER .. WILL COVER THE 120 SCRATCHES .won't it.
... But Isn't there a big chance It'll not cover the 60 grit scratches .
... & This is a farm truck that will be in the Brush & Brambles in just a couple of weeks .
But I don't want to see the scratches when you just stand beside it ..
This will never be a Mall Queen . But It's nice to cruise through the feed store parking lot & looking cool. Or Drag a cattle trailer to match in color through the Auction Barn parking area.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Another funny story.. At the coffee shop at the sale barn .. Auction house for cattle.
Many years ago . All these old men were gathering around A 1955/57 chevy 1 ton pulling a cattle trailer. at the sale barn cafe. Saturday Morning . Every one was yoo & AHH ING Over the 57 truck.
.....& THIS Other old tall skinny Cowboy standing there .... SAYS WHAT the Hell is wrong with this picture ... Here's the 1st Brand New Truck I've every owned it's a 1995 Chevy C10... WHITE PICKUP & NOT a SOUL is looking at my new truck . Yet every one is all over that old P.O.S. 57 1TON .. THAT'LL RIDE LIKE HELL.
.... Lifes a bitch at times .

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Another question what's the name of the Black liquid product that turns Rust into Primer .
...... How do you feel it works . I used to sell one that worked much better than others .
& 30 Years ago I sold a product it was a 2 part primer 3 qt in on bucket & A quart in another can. It was sold by Fiberglass Every-coat. but I think it was Discontinued ... But it was a primer & it was gray . It smelled like Bondo when it was sprayed .
But it's best factor was it would cover 80 grit sand scratches & It would cover .... ''CRAZING MARKS ''...
Do any of you painters Know how to repair crazing . & Do you know what product today takes the place of that Fiberglass EVER-COAT.