• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question on replacing old fusebox in 71 bronco?

salineriverman

Loc.
Wilmar
Good morning, Getting my bronco rebuild in the short rows- looking at replacing the fuse box with a Centech 12 circuit Mini fuse panel.
Anyone used one and what if any issues?
Thanks in advance for your help.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
So are you replacing the just the panel or the wiring harness.
I don't see much advantage to just replacing the panel as the wires are likely corroded and bad as well.

It really isn't very hard or that time consuming to replace all the wiring on these trucks.

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Second on not replacing the fuse panel without doing the harness. I did Painless, and it was not - but it works and is done!

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
I did the EZ Wire harness and it works great-but it was time consuming and it was a pain to integrate to the OEM column harness. Much cheaper than the plug and play options, but as usual, cheaper comes with a price.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
AAW wiring kits are affordable. Change fuse box to use modern fuses.
You could change the fuse box but wiring will still be old..
We did this to the 70 Firebronco

Attachments

• 376001100_10224583172312864_7051208461052183324_n.jpg
    376001100_10224583172312864_7051208461052183324_n.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 24

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a p
looking at replacing the fuse box with a Centech 12 circuit Mini fuse panel.
Are you planning to keep it in the glovebox? Or is yours by any chance, on the floor/firewall where the older panels were? Just checking, since that was supposedly a running change somewhere between '70 and '71.
What is the general condition of the rest of your wiring? How rusty are your old fuse contacts? Or are you replacing in order to get more fuse protection for other circuits?

Using a replacement panel has been done many times by members here. While I agree in general principle with what the others have said, it depends on what you want. All the ones I've worked on really needed the wire harness as well as the fuse panel. But I'm sure there are some still out there (like my own '71 in fact) that could just use a new fuse panel and be done with it.
The problems start with the length of the wires left over at the panel location, and the ability to attach them to the new unit. You would either have to relocate the panel, or extend the wires. Very carefully(!) to avoid any additional problems being added to the mix.

Got pics of the front and back of your existing panel?

Good luck whichever way you go.

Paul

OP
OP
salineriverman

salineriverman

Loc.
Wilmar
Thanks guys - after further looking today I agree I probably need to change out the wiring as well. Looks like my paint shop guys or the dude I had re.oving my radio and prepping for the paint job fixed me up - broke the plug on back of wiper switch - now signal lights and brake lights are not working but headlights and taillights are working as well as side markers - front parking light out as well which hopefully it's the old rusted ground not grounding. When mash brakes emergency flashers lite up-
Which wiring harness is the least painless to install and match up correctly??
On top of this I discovered a bolt behind driver's door gasket so I removed it to find that they must've drilled a hole in front aux. Tank - gas went everywhere / I quickly screwed it back in and stopped the leak.
Still hadn't got my doors closing like they were prior to paint job.
I've also got the dreaded Bronco lean on driver's side -its low 1 3/4" .
But One challenge at a time!! 😖

OP
OP
salineriverman

salineriverman

Loc.
Wilmar
My old fuse box is in the glove box, sorry I forgot to answer - and yes I was hoping not to replace harness but now see I will have to do this as well -

Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or three! Or 10!
However, many you can handle mentally, physically, and emotionally before you start pulling your hair out, running out into the yard screaming and throwing crescent wrenches at passing police cars, hoping that they will lock you up where you can get straight three hots and a cot, and no more mechanical nightmares, or electrical gremlins thrown at you.
Otherwise, piece of cake. You got this…😉😁

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, sounds like they didn’t do any favors.
Nothing ever seems to fit the same way you put it together, once it’s been taken apart to paint.
Don’t know anybody yet that had all things just bolt right up and fit.
And door weatherstripping is one of the worst culprits.

With new paint, and decades of potential rust in between body panels and pinch welds and spot welds, you might as well just plan on adding some ground jumpers to various locations on the body.
The radiator core support, where the headlights and turn signals ground, seems to be one of the worst when it comes to “un-grounding”.
Right along with the windshield frame.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks guys - after further looking today I agree I probably need to change out the wiring as well. Looks like my paint shop guys or the dude I had re.oving my radio and prepping for the paint job fixed me up - broke the plug on back of wiper switch - now signal lights and brake lights are not working but headlights and taillights are working as well as side markers - front parking light out as well which hopefully it's the old rusted ground not grounding. When mash brakes emergency flashers lite up-
Which wiring harness is the least painless to install and match up correctly??
On top of this I discovered a bolt behind driver's door gasket so I removed it to find that they must've drilled a hole in front aux. Tank - gas went everywhere / I quickly screwed it back in and stopped the leak.
Still hadn't got my doors closing like they were prior to paint job.
I've also got the dreaded Bronco lean on driver's side -its low 1 3/4" .
I have done two Centechs and found them very easy although the instructions were lacking. Pull the dash and get it after it.

I am getting ready to start a full painless harness and am anxious to see if its easier? Time will tell..

Good luck!