• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quick game of guess what this wire goes to

BigOrsnge

Contributor
73 Bronco

1. White/black wire coming off back of alternator. Has a black clip but wasn't attached to anything.
IMG_6259.jpeg

2. Under windshield washer jug on driver side- black wire with red line.
IMG_6258.jpeg
3. Plug under dash. Was attached to two heavier wires and ran to front of Bronco but attached to nothing. No big deal but the plug makes wonder now.

IMG_6257.jpeg

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
.1 Does it have power when engine is running and not when it is shut off? If so, then stator power wire to factory electric choke.

OP
OP
BigOrsnge

BigOrsnge

Contributor
.1 Does it have power when engine is running and not when it is shut off? If so, then stator power wire to factory electric choke.
I do think it's the stator wire. I also think the black and red wire might be the backup (reverse) lights maybe?? No idea on the plug.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I do think it's the stator wire. I also think the black and red wire might be the backup (reverse) lights maybe?? No idea on the plug.
Back up lights, could be... Put 12vs to it and see if they light up.

Was it a 3-spd on the tree originally? maybe it was to the the external switch on the column...

OP
OP
BigOrsnge

BigOrsnge

Contributor
The backup lights I'm trying to find because they don't work. Got to track down where that black/red wire goes to from that harness. PO had this "rigged" up on a switch to flip on the backup lights and it was creating a problem.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For the backup lamps your truck should have a long, square 4-wire connector just behind the engine, near the firewall.
Two wires will be Red w/blue, and two will be Black w/red (or is it Red w/black? I always get those bass-ackwards because Ford uses Black w/red for multiple things!) for the automatic trans neutral-safety switch.
Where the Red w/blue wires are for the NSS function and the other two are for the backup lamps.

Look for one section of harness coming up from below, where the NSS is on the side of the transmission. On the body side, there is the matching plug with the same matching wires, where you can test to see if the backup lamps are getting power.
You can test this with the key in the ACC position and a jumper wire between the two Black w/red wires.

Or, just a volt-meter testing one of them for power. Key in the ACC or ON position of course.
Best to use ACC though, and leaving it in the ON position accidentally can cause other grief.

Paul

OP
OP
BigOrsnge

BigOrsnge

Contributor
Thanks! I found it odd the connecting plugs didn't have corresponding wires (not in the plugs). No telling what's gone on with them so I'll track them down and try to figure it out.