• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator Overflow Bottle Leaking.

cekautsky

Loc.
Alta Loma, CA
As mentioned in the title, The cap on my overflow bottle is leaking (bad). The more i bounce the truck around the worse the cap leaks. The tank is in good shape but the cap wont snap down tight and make a good seal. I tried putting a wrap of electrical tape around the cap flange and using a hose clamp around the cap to tighten the seal. This Band-Aid fix helped but it still leaks enough to be a mess all over the inner fender when off road. Have any of you guys/gals had a similar problem and came up with a whiz-bang fix so that i don't have to buy a new bottle just for the cap. I don't mind spending the money on a new bottle if that is the proper fix but with the vast experience of the bronco folks here on this forum there has to be something out there that somebody has used to address this problem before.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

CK

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
cekautsky, I am glad you asked this question. I have the same problem, but just haven't gotten around to asking the same question. The otherwise fine bottle on the '76 leaks with bouncing to the extent that I have to wonder about long-term rusting of the inner fender on the passenger's side! Let's see what the collective wisdom is.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I went with a spun aluminum over flow bottle from Summit.
You mount it to the core support.
It has a threaded bung on each end.
You install your over flow hose to to the bottom then a 90° fitting on the top with a hose going to the ground.
It cannot overflow unless it completely fills the bottle in which case it just pukes a little on the ground.
Has worked flawlessly for 15 years.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
X2 on the aluminum bottle from Summit. They take up less space too.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you lower the fluid and then place a piece (or couple of layers) of plastic wrap over the hole then put the cap on.
Not a long term fix not might help, those catch cans fro. Summit are def nice

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I got an overflow bottle and windshield washer bottle off a small Toyota truck at the pic-n-pull and both are perfect fits, o.b. mounted on core support and w.w.b. mounted on firewall. Neither leaks when full or going over rough terrain. Sounds like you're in a hellava jam with a leaky overflow bottle.