• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator Overflow Bottle Cap

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Factory style, but not factory installed until the '73 model year.
However, it'd be cool if yours was one of the early installs by Ford, then they just moved them towards the rear and angled them to clear the cold-air intake that came with the '73 year changeover.

What month was your truck built in?
I've never seen a replacement lid only, but you might try the Mustang sites in case some models had the same style bottle. Or at least something similar.
Then again... I got surprised when I found out that Dennis Carpenter (or was it Scott Drake?) is making the older style ('66 to '70) reproduction engine compartment wiring harnesses with the firewall plugs.
Maybe one of those companies has lids too?

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
wbgarman

wbgarman

Factory style, but not factory installed until the

What month was your truck built in?

Paul

I just decoded the VIN from the information provided by BroncoOhio and I'm not quite sure which month it was produced. The range of VINs from the last build month (July) of 1972 are P60000 - P69999. My Bronco is P88606...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool. Yours might just be one of the last '72's built. Could very easily explain the reservoir tank then.
You don't have the decal on the driver's door latch post anymore?

Either way, you need to pop over to Viperwolf1's thread titled "1972 - '73 owners, mind your "P's" and "Q's" here: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221155 so you can add your info to the list.
It'll show you where yours fits in-between all the rest. It's interesting stuff for those of us that are into that kind of thing.%)

Normally, yours would have been one of the last '72's, but that particular year Ford squeezed some in until very late past their "normal" new model year month of August. It's not etched in stone, so some model years of any vehicle get pushed ahead or held on longer in production.
But with Broncos, it appears there was even an intermixing of the model years within the last few serial numbers. You might find an earlier model with a later VIN, and a later model with an earlier VIN. Very strange even for Ford!

Thanks for putting your info up with the rest.

Paul

Last edited:
OP
OP
wbgarman

wbgarman

I got a replacement for my '75 at O' Reilly's. Part number is MTM 8259 u.

Thanks edmedlin for the insight. I wasn't able to find this part number at O'Reilly's, so I went with the cap from CJPonyParts (CJ's Part Number: RC12). The cap is pretty snug, but seems to fit well with the factory style reservoir tank.