• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ram assist mounting

mortimersnerd

I'm working on the mounts for my hydro assist ram and am wondering if there is anything I should be considering as I design it. Does it need to be parallel, or can there be a little angle without putting too much load on the tie rod ends? I know that mounting the tie rod to the top of the drag link can cause some slop in the steering-is this a concern with the ram mount as well? I'm also not sure how much load I should plan for. Any tips?

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
The only input I can give is to mount it parallel. My ram is mounted at an angle to the tierod (I have a 60 with high-steer) and when the ram pushes on the rod it 1st twists the rod then pushes. After replacing a rod for worn ends I had to position the ends so they bind against the knuckle so the ram will push. I'm thinking I may reposition the ram before completing my powertrain swap.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I agree as parallel as possible also make sure you stroke the ram. If you have a 8" stroke and only 7.5" of steering travel you will put a lot of stress on the ball joints and the knuckles and steering joint ie heim or gm 1 ton. I mounted mine to the axle and the tie rod. Solid to the axle stroke to the tie rod

OP
OP
mortimersnerd

mortimersnerd

Trei, I've referenced your pics a bunch of times over on CCB. Do you have any roll in the tie rod as the ram cycles? I think mine may wind up mounted almost identically to yours.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I don't see any deflection in the tie rod at all the steering moves on a axis a little so a small amount of angle is good in my opinion