• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ram Assisted Steering Eliminate Pump or Box Squeal?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The biggest things I've noticed is it cavitates less, foams less, and the pumps run quiet. I've not done anything scientific, but it sure seams to help cure alot of issues I've had with noisy pumps and failures.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah, still running the fluid problem free. I restock my supply from the Pirate 4x4 cost +$5 sale guy - drop ships it right to my door.

A filter is probably a good idea too - after all the PS pump is just a rotary pump with metal vanes in a metal housing that well, produces tiny metal shavings - start adding those into a metal on metal device and you get more metal...

I run my steering through a Derale Atomic Cool cooler - small package and big cooling.

I never understood why people want hydroboost brakes - you are commonly on the brakes and turning the wheel when four wheeling and it likes to do one thing and not both. I think what most people want vs what they need are MANUAL brakes with the correctly sized bore. Hydroboost does nothing but add complications and HEAT.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I never understood why people want hydroboost brakes - you are commonly on the brakes and turning the wheel when four wheeling and it likes to do one thing and not both. I think what most people want vs what they need are MANUAL brakes with the correctly sized bore. Hydroboost does nothing but add complications and HEAT.

I don't find this at all. There are no better brakes than hydroboost and if installed correctly, do not use hardly any fluid volume and create no heat to speak of either. I have used them for years and have never had them interfere with steering when wheeling ;)

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't find this at all. There are no better brakes than hydroboost and if installed correctly, do not use hardly any fluid volume and create no heat to speak of either. I have used them for years and have never had them interfere with steering when wheeling ;)

If I'm hard on the brakes and need to turn I have to bump the throttle above idle to get it to turn, I'm told there is a fix for this but with an auto it's not that big a deal, I could see having problems with a manual trans and not having 3 feet.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Yes JW changing pulley sizes can improve that. One thing I forgot to say was you need to run a good cooler no matter what type set up you have, as others have said.