• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rare Early Bronco

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I know its probably been discussed before but, Besides Drew's ambulance, what is the rarest existing EB? One known to still exist and who has it? Pics would be awesome.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Although a 76 Special Decor is not that rare, this one was. It only had 1700 original miles on it when I owned it.

I would say the rarest would be Bronco #1 that Caroll Shelby owns. Or Big Oly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 232

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Although a 76 Special Decor is not that rare, this one was. It only had 1700 original miles on it when I owned it.

Yeah, Chad, that lil' red rig is nice but I'm partial to the Purple & Silver half cab in the background!!!!;D;D;D

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I know its probably been discussed before but, Besides Drew's ambulance, what is the rarest existing EB? One known to still exist and who has it? Pics would be awesome.

I do not own it yet, and am in no hurry to since it is actually my dad's and it is willed to me. I'm hoping it will be a very long time until it is mine! ;)

Really hard to say. Yes if the Shelby if it ever surfaces it would obviously be very valuable since it is reported to be production unit #1, and also because of the Shelby connection.

Big Oly, while certainly iconic and significant in its own right beyond all others, is actually not a Bronco. It is a full blown tubular chassis, 2WD race car with a fiberglass shell made to look like a Bronco.

Todd and Andrew's Overall 69 Mexican 1000 winning Bronco started life as an actual Bronco and also holds significant racing history, so it would be on my list for sure.

Low miles and other things are certainly cool, but I still do not see them brining the same type of dollars as the above likely would (and in reality, actual $'s is really one of the few way how the desirability of something can me measured quantitatively. As much as some hate to see money discussed, it is the world of supply and demand we live in).

Although not as far up on the list, I'd also have to throw my dad's first week production 66 U13 in there somewhere. 100% original sheet metal, 11,xxx verified original miles (under 10K when we got it). Nearly all mechanically original (did have a cosmetic restoration to bring it to AACA Grand National standards). I'm not aware yet of an earlier one that is as original and is show quality.

Of course there are the Baja's, Denvers, Gold Rush, Macho and probably a few other even more obscure editions. However, most none of those except the Baja's have really pulled as big of $ as many nicely built custom street mod Broncos on 33-35's do.

There are aftermarket add ons like the 3-4 or more various campers that were offered to mount on the Bronco. Some much more rare than others.

Then there are other old, one off customs built by notable people like George Barris, James Duff's Pony Express, or other racers like the Doug Nash's "Bronco Buster" (reportedly scrapped).

And we can not forget about more recent TV builds such as the Monster Garage Bronco, Crazy Horse, and no-name builds from other shows like Overhaulin, Counting Cars, Kindig Customs, etc.).

The thing is, that in many of these cases, they are all one offs, so technically, none are rarer than another, they all are 1 of 1.

So then, IMO, it comes down to collectability for other reasons which is hugely debatable depending on the taste of goal of the collector.

I'm not familiar with any super special rare factory ordered special options like you can find in the muscle car world which makes ranking rare factory optioned vehicles easier.

AFLtCol

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The "Twitty Bird Broncos" owned by Conway Twitty.

Attachments

• conway_twitty_2.jpg
    conway_twitty_2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 209
  • Twitty Bird 1.jpg
    Twitty Bird 1.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 186

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Wonder what happened to it?

Read on here a couple yrs ago that it was for sale in Tennessee maybe or something like that .

Also if someone could find one of the "green acres" Broncos, that would be cool to me anyway.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
Read on here a couple yrs ago that it was for sale in Tennessee maybe or something like that .

Also if someone could find one of the "green acres" Broncos, that would be cool to me anyway.

Last I heard one of the Green Acres Broncos is somewhere in Alabama.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

Crush's question was about the rarest Bronco, not the most famous Bronco. Different entirely.
I'd like to know more about rare Broncos too. Oddities like special factory orders, factory midyear changes etc...

When my '77 was delivered to the dealer, along on the transport were a couple of special order '77 Bronco half cabs. Half cabs were discontinued in '72, but these were ordered by the Mosquito Abatement Dept in our area to put PTO driven spray rigs into. Most people wouldn't have noticed, but gas doors and the half cab was the tip-off.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I'm not sure anyone has mentioned the military use 66' or it seems that most of them were 67's. IIRC didn't they have the stone covers over the headlights? And of course the military info plate on the dash.

I've heard mention several times over the years of a PTO driven auger, but I've yet to see one or no of anyone who's seen one.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
The military EBs had the light covers, data plate, special rear bumper, and often used the '67 Roadster style mirror.

OP
OP
Crush

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Bluebuckaroo is spot on with his assessment. Lookin for those odd factory options or unusual dealer installed items that were approved ford accessories

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I once saw a 77 sport triple black (exterior / interior / hard top) that the owner claims was all original and looked to be.

That in and of itself not so rare I suppose.

But the owner of the Ford dealership who ordered it had a Shelby 302 put in it, badges, signature and all.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Let's not forget the 77's without gas doors.

That one's questionable.
That was a change to comply with a DOT requirement to eliminate gas filler caps on the outside of the body. It would be sort of like someone saying they had a '68 Bronco without side marker lights.