• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Re-Install T-Type Transfer Case in '66 Bronco

OP
OP
C

colby45

Confirming the HEF 3-speed for I-6 170, here is mine after rebuild. It has threads too. 1966 Bronco, Oct 65 build date.

Thanks for the confirmation. Did you do the rebuild yourself? If so, what resources (manuals, youtube, etc.) did you use? I had a friend help with mine as I couldn't find much on rebuilding the old Ford 3 speeds.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Colby, nice 66 you have. Mine was a plow horse as well, only rode hard and put away wet.

JD

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That threaded shaft is probably an early econoline part (short tail housing) that ford adapted for use in Broncos.

OP
OP
C

colby45

Colby, nice 66 you have. Mine was a plow horse as well, only rode hard and put away wet.

JD

Thanks! Ours was the same. Used and abused when it was used, but it did more sitting than driving thankfully. It's back on the road now and running great. It's been a blast having it. I was overwhelmed when I went through all the transmission/transfer case issues, but I've learned a ton and it's become an awesome project.

That threaded shaft is probably an early econoline part (short tail housing) that ford adapted for use in Broncos.

Yes I believe that is the case looking through all the reference material for the old 3 speeds from early on.

jerrybromley

Contributor
Hi Guys....Just found this thread ( I know its kinda old) But I have a similar problem . When I removed the transmission from the transfer case I left the adapter on the transfer case side.( no special tool installed on tranny linkage) When I installed the transfer case back on the transmission there was a gap between them. Even after some gentle persuasion. I removed the transfer case and found the output bearing and snap ring of the transmission to be sticking out of the tranny farther than it appears it should be. It appears to be keeping the transfer case and tranny from mating properly. All my shifter linkage is gone. ( got the truck that way). My question is there a way to get the output shaft and bearing to drop back into place without the shift linkage and special tool ?