• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ready to Pull the Trigger on a Wiring Harness - What's the consensus?

got-mike

I'm finally tired of having to go under the hood every time I want to start or stop the truck...

Also all but one light is out at this point and the fuse box is basically disintegrated.

It sounds like Centech and American Autowire are the only ones you can really buy from the Early Bronco Websites, but I've also seen the Painless one.

A buddy of mine tells me that the Painless wiring kits are anything BUT painless to install, but I have read good reviews online.

I plan on hiring someone to install the harness, and they have told me to "go buy a wiring harness" and they will do the install for $550. Another friend tells me it should only take a "couple hours" if we do it in my garage.

So... point is...

1) If I'm hiring a mechanic to install this for $550, does it really matter or should I assume that they will just figure it out and just buy the cheapest one I can find? Is this a reasonable price?

2) If I get my buddy to help me, which one is best? And is 2-4hrs a realistic timeframe to do this?

3) If I do #2 above, what are the big "aha" things I need to keep in mind? In other words, if you have done one of these jobs, what did you wish you bought and/or prepared for in advance? Buy an extra kit of grommets, special crimper, what-not...

4) Do all kits work with the stock gauges and "plunger" dash controls? It seemed like the Painless version did, but the others kindof sounded like they were just plastic toggle switches that replaced the original ones...

Vincen

I installed an AAW harness myself in one weekend. With help 4 hours could be doable. When I installed it, I elected to buy the crimpers which can also be rented from AAW. They also sell a complete grounding kit that helps with the pesky grounding issues. I did make it a little harder on myself by cutting some cable ties off making it a mess to install to the dash. All told though it was pretty easy.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
LOL 2-4 hours to remove a harness and completely re-wire a Bronco %)

I am supremely confident in my automotive skills, have spliced and repaired countless wire runs over the years, and I would say you're doing a good job to get all the wire stripped out of a Bronco and then get the entire thing re-wired and working correctly in a full weekend (16 hours).

Most shops are going to start at 20 hours labor for a rewire job. No decent shop around here would touch a project like that for $550.

carmi

Loc.
Oroville
Don't know a lot about the newer Bronco specific kits but I installed a Painless generic 16 circuit kit about 18 years ago. Back then it was almost $400 less to use the generic kit. The only difference I could tell was some of the end terminations had to be swapped but I would have had to do that anyway due to the non-factory ignition and alternator. As for time, I bet I had 40 hours in the original install. That was soldering / heat shrinking every connection and wire tying / looming everything. Not to mention being my first wiring experience. I would be very impressed if a pro could get it done in under 20 hours. Wiring is really not very complicated but it can be a little tedious. Heck, I think most of the kits now even have all the wires labeled every couple inches unlike the old days when all you had to go by was color and wire gauge. Something to keep in mind is doing it yourself will give you invaluable experience that will inevitably help you on the trail someday. In addition, if your like me, nobody will take the time to do it "perfect" like you would.

ransil

Bronco Guru
$550 is reasonable, I charged $400 last one I did ( centech) had other custom stuff on it over a stock vehicle and that was too low, for how long it took me.

I have done a half dozen, it takes way more than 2-4 hours to do it right 16 -20 is a better number and that might be low but can be done.

centech is a good drop in replacement harness for the $$

the painless Bronco specific harness is more and should take about the same time as the centech

never did an AAW harness

Ron Francis Harness for more custom stuff

No Hay

Bronco Guru
HA! "Should only take a couple hours."

If I had a dollar every time I heard that....

Everybody is an expert%)

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
HA! "Should only take a couple hours."

If I had a dollar every time I heard that....

Everybody is an expert%)

Yeah!! What he said!!

I've only done 1 complete harness, a Centech, was happy with it. Did not time it because it was a total resto. Dash and every thing was already out.
Do it yourself and don't rush it, spend 2 weekends, save money and know what you have!!!;D;D;D
Good Luck

hawkgt

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
I am finishing up an AAW kit now. I have been very happy with it and the aftermarket upgrades it will support (i.e. seat heater, power windows, cb, fuel pump, electric fan,...). I bought the loom kit from WH and I'm glad I did. The woven loom looks like modern factory loom, much nicer than the corrugated crap you find at local auto part stores. Lastly, I suggest removing the dash if you do it yourself.

knack

Contributor
I put a Centech in my '70 model about 5 years ago. Installation went fine, happy with the quality. No problems so far.
Also can't give you a good estimate of install time - my install was also part of a total restoration.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I did the Painless harness in my EB. It's hands down top of the line quality and geared towards a self-install with lots of added flexibility to grow your electrical system with additional accessories. Depending on your situation that could be overkill, especially if you're just trying to replace stock with stock.

Also, if you do the install don't lock yourself into a time box. Take the time that's needed to pull the old harness, prep the new harness, and do the actual install. I stretched mine out over a long weekend and it turned out great! Fired up on the first turn of the key and I have revisited 0 times since install. It just works...

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
I have only ever wired one rig, my rig. I wouldn't hesitate on using a Painless system again. Was easy, directions were easy and when I had an issue their Customer Service was easy.

I wouldn't hire this out, a good weekend maybe two if you're not as aggressive with it and you're finished. Take a look in my truck build up in my signature, there is a series of pictures of the back of the dash wire up. Believe that took me 2 hours, with zero issues. Not that tough at all.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I put in a Centex, about 6 years ago and it went in pretty easy. All wires are marked, gave you the option for different ignitions. One thing is it would of been nice with more pictures of installing it.

dirwin

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
I've done both the Painless and the Centech. I prefer the Centech over the Painless but your milage may vary.

4 hours though, not going to happen....

Go cheap here and you'll be paying for it for a long time to come. If you can't do it yourself and you pay a pro to do it, count on 15-20 hours labor to do it right.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I second the advice to "not lock yourself into a time box".

It's a Bronco, you know you will find something else that you want to fix or change while you are doing the wiring, something that you just couldn't see until you took the wiring out of the way.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
One thing to consider:
According to Tom's Bronco Parts the wiper delay switch is not compatible with Centech or Painless wiring harnesses.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's probably a true statement, but when it comes to wiring, you can usually get there from here. So it's probably just some extra fiddling to get them to work nice together.
I would think anyway...;D

Paul

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
One thing to consider:
According to Tom's Bronco Parts the wiper delay switch is not compatible with Centech or Painless wiring harnesses.

It is if you do not use the Centech wiper switch. You have to reuse a Ford wiper plug and replace all the connector ends on the Centech harness that work in the ford plug. There are 6 and 7 wire switches and you may have to make some modifications to make each one work... (You many have to add a "park" wire to the harness) the change is well supported on this website.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...It sounds like Centech and American Autowire are the only ones you can really buy from the Early Bronco Websites, but I've also seen the Painless one.

Maybe you're not usually buying from us, so don't look through our site, but we do carry the Painless harness as well as ordering the Ron Francis harnesses.
Just so's ya know.

A buddy of mine tells me that the Painless wiring kits are anything BUT painless to install, but I have read good reviews online.

It's possible that he used the previous generation harness. Do you remember how long ago his experience was? The current one is much more detailed in a Bronco-specific way, so really should not be that much harder/easier to install than one of the others
It's also possible that you see different experiences because different people like and dislike different things.

Paul