• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear end help

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
Can I tell if I'm starting to bust off my splinds without pulling the axle? It's making a bad sound now and then after some intense wheeling. When I have it up in the air I can rotate one tire and it enguages the drive line right now. On the other it takes 1/4 turn before it enguages the drive line.
28 spline big bering posi.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Assume it's a sound coming from the rear differential. Could be a problem with the posi traction unit, the ring and pinion gears, an axle bearing or something else but I doubt it's your splinds.

OP
OP
americanhorses

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
I think you may be right. I can only get the noise turning. I shot a video for sound. I have to wait until tomorrow when I get to a computer to post.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Here's my destroyed ring/pinion gears. :)

[youtube]UAJ_QdoDqJM[/youtube]

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The "posi" you have is most likely a Ford Trac-Lock, which commonly breaks through the cover bolts, essentially disconnecting the ring gear from the carrier. When they let go, it sounds and feels like a ring and pinion, however will typically function for a while with low load...at least until it grenades completely. There are lots of pictures on here and the web of the failure, but the only way to be sure is to pull the rear end. I too doubt it's the axles, but you need to pull those to get the diff out, so either way you'll find out.

turbotim2

It only takes 10 minutes to get the axles out, I'd pull them and inspect the splines if you think they may be the culprit. You can check the bearings while you're at it.

OP
OP
americanhorses

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
The "posi" you have is most likely a Ford Trac-Lock, which commonly breaks through the cover bolts, essentially disconnecting the ring gear from the carrier. When they let go, it sounds and feels like a ring and pinion, however will typically function for a while with low load...at least until it grenades completely. There are lots of pictures on here and the web of the failure, but the only way to be sure is to pull the rear end. I too doubt it's the axles, but you need to pull those to get the diff out, so either way you'll find out.

I'm suspecting this. Sounds like upgrade time.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
When I have it up in the air I can rotate one tire and it enguages the drive line right now. On the other it takes 1/4 turn before it enguages the drive line.
28 spline big bering posi.

This is usually the spider gears, they get wore and/or broken commonly on the old original limited/slip posi units. The side w/ the most play has wore/broke spider gears in the carrier The common fix is to install a whole new carrier unit.

Generally speaking the axle shaft splines, even the 28 spline's are fairly tough and don't commonly fail -but can & do w/ extreme use...and obviously the larger diameter axles w/ more splines are even tougher and a good choice for rough use when rebuilding and upgrading.

matt w

Bronco Guru
the title is so tempting!!!....However I do hope you sort your rear end out!;);D