• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear long travel shock mount options for single shock

cody72sport

I'm thinking im going to run single shocks, either bilstein or duffs new eibach shocks. Most rear long travel mounts are all set up for dual shocks. should I just run the dual mounts with a single shock? how much of a travel improvement do you see with long travel rear mounts?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Long travel mounts are just that. They provide for a longer shock which is usually the limiting factor in travel. For the most travel go with an inboard mount but you sacrifice on road handling. Shocks work best verticle. Most long travel mounts lay the shock more forward or inboard unless you start cutting for clearance. The wh/protofab rear mounts allow for longer rear shocks with less lean but you have to cut the rear inner fenders. Now that shock technology has gotten better singles ar fine in the rear. Using the longer mounting point on a dual mount is fine.. I have a set of Duffy stage 2 rear mounts I've thought of cutting in half to make em single long travel mounts.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
One shock vertically w/o leaning inboard is MUCH more efficient that any shock laying at an angle fwd or back AND inboard. I used to have a chart when all us "long travel" guys back in the '90s were trying to get more travel but not cut our bodies up to do it. So we leaned shocks fwd and inboard... then we found out how for every degree of angle leaning you'd lose a % of shock efficiency. Well it added up because about 95% of us went back to a more vertical positioning of the shock so we could actually notice the shock working!

Aftermarket usually can't sell many kits of something that whacks your body up... hence most aftermarket kits selling dual shocks that lean fwd and in don't require you to cut the body up so they sell well. You need dual shocks to make up for the loss of efficiency for the mounting... whereas if you mounted it "properly", a single shock would work very well.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
I'm thinking im going to run single shocks, either bilstein or duffs new eibach shocks. Most rear long travel mounts are all set up for dual shocks. should I just run the dual mounts with a single shock? how much of a travel improvement do you see with long travel rear mounts?

Have you looked at the rear shock mounts [MIGS] just posted in the venders section .He was on a time out for a bit but now he 's back up and running with a revised weld on only version.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
JD has a nice Stage-2 two shock Rear Mount. These are made to run the shocks leaning forward from the Rear Axle. You will need a body Lift.

Option - You can run one shock and cut the extra post off. Since just using one shock, you Can slide the mount back on the frame for a more vertical position, similar to the shock angle of the original shock mount that was out the back. This Stage 2 Mount is still 3-4 inches higher than the original mounts, therefore longer shock.

Last edited:

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
I' currently running a Jd stage 2 rear shock mount with a Fox 2.0 shock. It works ok, you have to clearance the mount pretty good and run a special bushing to get the shock in there. My valving is a little off on shock so i'm looking to change the position of the shock and either upgrade to a king 2.5" or a bypass shock.