• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Long travel rear shock suggestion

R0kcrwlr

The PO installed a long travel rear mount that required cutting in the inner fender so I would like to regain the back seat so I am looking for alternative options for a single long travel rear shock.

TIA.

ame

Is there an existing shock mount you will be using or are you going to fab one? Either way you will need to figure out the compressed length of the shock then find one with the longest extended length you can get but depending on what leaf springs it has you may not need that much travel.

Best way to find compressed length is to compress the rear suspension to the bump stop then measure axle shock mount to frame shock mount.

OP
OP
R

R0kcrwlr

I don't have any mounts at this time. A few folks mentioned the cross inboard kit, I saw a post here for a long travel single mount that goes forward instead of to rear like stock. Trying to decide on which setup works best.

OP
OP
R

R0kcrwlr

I probably need to clarify some. I am in search of a rear shock mount not shock. PO has installed the long travel mount which pretty much deleted the back seat area so I am looking for a new rear shock mount instead of the one that is there now. thanks.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I don't have any mounts at this time. A few folks mentioned the cross inboard kit, I saw a post here for a long travel single mount that goes forward instead of to rear like stock. Trying to decide on which setup works best.

For all-out articulation and keeping it under the bed, the Cross setup or something like that is hard to beat. However, I can tell you from personal experience that keeping the shocks outboard is much preferred to limit body roll and preserve on-road handling.

That led me to come up with some outboard mounts that worked a little better than the stock mounts in terms of mounting a longer shock/preserving a decent shock working angle, etc. Fab guy made them up and I've had them ever since. In the intervening years, a number of the vendors have come up with similar configurations that also work well. Here's an example that Wild Horses sells:

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Shock_Jock_rear_shock_mounts/bronco_rear_suspension_parts

I found that Bilstein 7100s with remote reservoirs and 'short bodies' work great for maxing the amount of travel in a location without turning into an unintentional bump stop or limiting strap (which is what happened years ago when using twin-tube hydraulic shocks on the stock mounts).

Todd Z.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Sounds like you had the protofab/wh oong travel mount that you cut the inner wheel tub to fit. The only other way to match that shock length is to go with an inboard set up. Easy to do but going inboard ads to the body roll on the road. Most the vendors offer a forward mount bracket that allow a little longer than stock shock but not as long as what you have. Also most of the forward mount kits require cutting and or a body lift. I'm in the same boat. I want to get rid of the inboard set up for handling but dont want to lose travel.

OP
OP
R

R0kcrwlr

yea, I was looking at the WH shock mount they have listed and I sent the board members MIGS that listed some that he had manufacture but I have not heard back from him yet.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
yea, I was looking at the WH shock mount they have listed and I sent the board members MIGS that listed some that he had manufacture but I have not heard back from him yet.

Yes - just saw that. I like his stuff too - I have his shackles and a custom coil mount too.

Todd Z.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I believe I have the protofab shock mounts too and wanted the rear seat also. I ended up "notching the bench seat and also moving it back a couple inches to make it work.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I think migs is busy fixing up the new shop if it's the same guy. Pretty sure its him. I was also looking at his mounts but I dont know that they give any more travel than the duffs or the wh shock jock.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
As well as notching the seat people have also moved the seat back. This limits the room for storage but increases leg room.

Jim

bchesley

I have the WH/protofab4x4 long travel shock mounts and love them. It almost cured all body roll on the street. It handles ten times better than the stock location on a lifted truck. I have two teenage boys who sit in the back seat that appreciate the 3 inches I moved the seat back. The storage that is lost is minimal. I would just move the seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I have the WH/protofab4x4 long travel shock mounts and love them. It almost cured all body roll on the street. It handles ten times better than the stock location on a lifted truck. I have two teenage boys who sit in the back seat that appreciate the 3 inches I moved the seat back. The storage that is lost is minimal. I would just move the seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This/\/\/\

OP
OP
R

R0kcrwlr

ok, I looked last night at the work involved and I think I will do what many mentioned so far. Move the seat back... Now I need to determine if I want to use old beat up back seat or go with a heap tumblr seat. thanks everyone for your feedback.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
ok, I looked last night at the work involved and I think I will do what many mentioned so far. Move the seat back... Now I need to determine if I want to use old beat up back seat or go with a heap tumblr seat. thanks everyone for your feedback.

Fold and Tumble seat for sure man...
I like the TBP and WH version but they are all good.

The difference in comfort was pretty obvious when I asked my 110 pound wife and later when asking my 260 pound buddy. They both declared it was a huge difference from stock. My daughter really likes it and likes that the back is slightly reclined compared to stock. As was said watch for headroom on rear roll bar when you move seat back.
Good luck.
Good decision.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Once the kids start growing the kids heads start getting close to that rear bar. I'm 5'8. When I built my rear seats they're darn near on the floor and you cant got too far back before it's an issue. I also built my cages and they're taller than most and won't fit under a stock top with the rear bar all the way back but before the bends.

TonyPDX

Contributor
I agree with what Todd said... I built new upper mounts and moved them back about 4" and up about 2" which allows for the 12" Shortbody 7100 to fit. This setup will accommodate over 14" of rear wheel travel. The angle of the shock does require a little stiffer shock. I actually need to revalve my 7100's to increase the rebound control.