• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear seat alternatives

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I'm interested in alternative ideas for rear seat configuration?
My situation is that: Due to the 6-point cage and Corbeau front seats, the rear seat could only be accessed over the sides with the top down or through the tailgate. Moreover, as we all know an EB does not have an excessive amount of cargo space!

I will not have rear passengers often, but would love to provision rear seating if it could be folded out of the way sufficiently when not in use. Moreover, rear seating would never be used on highway / public roads, but only in trail mode, so while seat belts would be desirable, high speed considerations would not be present.

I'm thinking of a couple of things:

1. Land Rover / Land Rover style sideways seating on the fender Wells, where the seat cushion could fold up against the back/cage.

2. Fold- forward (Blazer style) rear bench if it could be folded forward and tucked up against the front seats / cage when not in use.

3. Stadium style seats bolted to toolbox, etc.

I'm really interested in any ideas, suggestions, photos from the communities as to what you guys have done as an alternative to the rather inflexible stock rear seat.

Thanks,
JB

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
I had a rear seat out of a Tracker that was a fold and tumble style that worked alright. I replaced it with a factory rear which was more in line with what I was after. I don't think I've ever seen sideways mounted seats work well in a bronco, the layout is just enough different from the Land Rovers and FJ's.
I know there are threads on this topic, hopefully someone will post up some links.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I’m running a full set of 2016 JK seats and the rear will fold and tumble.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I feel you on the cargo space.
I have a Crab cage with all sorts of cross braces.
I installed a rail system that I saw at the Fabulous Fords show in 2013.
I will upload a pic, I can move my seta up/back/face front or rear.
I think this is the place, https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/ and I had my rails hard anodized.
-I can also pull the seat and Tie down cargo (like we have the space. LOL)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
-Safety thoughts=

-Rear belts are so important on the trail.

-I've ridden in the back of a Land Rover with the side facing seats... Passengers heads hit, no they slam against the windows so I wouldn't recommend that.

-Any seat position that can have a passengers head hit a cross bar or side bar has to have 3 pts. It takes next to nothing to get a concussion with a 5 mph bump alongside your head. 1 3/4" DOM will have your head ringing just baarely bumping it.

- I think a fold and tumble is the best option. I ran one for years. If you make quick release mounts then you can get it out of the way for most of the time when you don't need it. Option anyway.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I've had the fold-ups and the factory seats. I moved them both much more forward than the factory location which makes it more useful for storage but they never get used and they obviously aren't a safe choice any way you look at it. I finally took them out and it's liberating in terms of making the rear more useful/utilitarian.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I've had the fold-ups and the factory seats. I moved them both much more forward than the factory location which makes it more useful for storage but they never get used and they obviously aren't a safe choice any way you look at it. I finally took them out and it's liberating in terms of making the rear more useful/utilitarian.
Have grandkids and wife mandates rear seat. That being said, rear seat would only be used on trail and previous comments about head-banging side-facing seats have ruled those out. I will provision seatbelt's/harnesses for whatever choice (probably fold & tumble). Have family/suitable cage.

THX,
JB

PS: Wife is from Bolivia where they consider 4 kids on a motorcycle w/o helmets "safe" 😂

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
[mention]bronco italiano [/mention] those tracks are cool, I may use something similar.

I have a 1/2 cab but want the ability to run a rear seat/ bikini top in the summer for my kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I have plastic storage/tool box that I cut down to be the same height as the rear bench. It bolts to the same holes as the rear seat and the seat belts can stay bolted in. When wheeling I have a pad I can put on the box and use it as a seat in a pinch. When I know I'll have rear passengers (i.e. my grand kids!) I put the stock rear seat back in and can mount car seats if needed.

nvrstuk

Contributor
[mention]bronco italiano [/mention] those tracks are cool, I may use something similar.

I have a 1/2 cab but want the ability to run a rear seat/ bikini top in the summer for my kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1/2 cab with rear seats... have you checked the air flow? lol

The best location for the rear seat would be against the bulkhead facing back because the wind funnels over the 1/2 cab top and blows like a venturi effect off the cab and into the rear seat passengers faces! I mean like head out the window velocity or more. Your passengers would thank you. :)

Ether

Contributor
Loc.
Tulsa
1/2 cab with rear seats... have you checked the air flow? lol

The best location for the rear seat would be against the bulkhead facing back because the wind funnels over the 1/2 cab top and blows like a venturi effect off the cab and into the rear seat passengers faces! I mean like head out the window velocity or more. Your passengers would thank you. :)
With the top off!! haha

I said bikini top, so I thought that was implied.

nvrstuk

Contributor
With the top off!! haha

I said bikini top, so I thought that was implied.
Same with bikini top which is all I ran for 12 yrs year round with a rear fold & tumble seat.

Been running a custom 1/2 cab I built for the past 12 yrs but w/o a rear seat for the past 7yrs.

So I've got both covered... :)