• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rebuild or Replace PS Gearbox?

FoMoCoBronCo

I bought a used 6-turn Saginaw PS Gear box from a fellow bronco owner (it came off a 75). After ~2K miles on it, I'm convinced that I need to rebuild or replace this thing...too much slop in the steering / swap on the roads, etc...

I've read threads on here that say a new box is the way to go (Delphi or Borgeson) because you're getting all new parts and a rebuild can never match the tight tolerances and specs of new.

Other threads say that new gearboxes have decreased in quality (perhaps they're talking about other cheap, Chinese brands than Delphi /Borgeson?) and that rebuilds are the way to go.

Part 2: If I do go with a rebuild, who's the best? I've talked to Lee's, West Texas Offroad, Dale's, and Redtop. Lead times were all similar. Dales was $400, Redhead was $616, Lee's was $695, West TX was $225. (I suspect the lower priced options were just seals only and that if they ran into hard parts that needed replacing, those prices would shoot up rapidly to inline with Redhead and Lee's). Lee's seemed to be the most knowledgeable, could switch me from 6-turn to 4-turn, and mess with the valving to give the steering a more "modern" feel. West TX offroad said they could do the switch from a 6 to a 4 turn for an add'l fee, but they havn't done one in a while bc they lost access to the parts to do it.

Appreacite any guidance that anyone can offer. Thanks!

Contributor
I bought a new Borgeson my self. 1. Because it’s a brand new box and 2. Because the price was great at a little over $500 when I bought it. Disclaimer though I haven’t driven my bronco yet with it. And since I have bought it Toms and PSC teamed up to build a box for our Broncos and if I was going to spend the coin I’d probably get their box as I have had nothing but great experiences with PSC products. However I have also used a lot of Borgeson products in the past as well without issues.

As for the rebuild bit, have you checked with Blue Top steering? Supposedly the guy came from Redhead.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I just installed a Bluetop. Very pleased with the box and customer support. I ordered the box and returned mine as a core. I replaced all the bushings and bearings in the column as well. Put in the aluminum bearing retainer in the lower column too. This really made a difference in how the wheel feels

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
I'm assuming since you have hydroboost that you're running larger tires, 33/35+? If you have your box rebuilt or buy a stock rebuilt unit, at the end of the day its still a stock unit. You may want to consider a Borgeson box or something beefier to handle the larger tires.

That being said, Red-Head Steering had a few stock 4 turn and 6 turn boxes in stock when i talked to them.

OP
OP
F

FoMoCoBronCo

I'm assuming since you have hydroboost that you're running larger tires, 33/35+? If you have your box rebuilt or buy a stock rebuilt unit, at the end of the day its still a stock unit. You may want to consider a Borgeson box or something beefier to handle the larger tires.

I’m running 31s and hydroboost. Would the new Tom’s box work as good as a borgeson in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
I’m running 31s and hydroboost. Would the new Tom’s box work as good as a borgeson in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are two boxes by tom's. the oem looking one that they state has larger internals or the PSC tom's box for $1300.

i'm running hydroboost with AN fittings so regardless i had to buy adapters for either stock, toms, or the borgeson box. i went borgeson because i knew i could easily find parts for it, beefier than stock, and the price was right. i didn't see a benefit in getting the toms oem one for $900.