• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Removing stock Radius arm mounts?

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Last night I started looking at how to cut off the stock radius arm mounts so I can install my extended radius arms. Actually I started grinding on the welds on the driver side....

Access seems to be a huge problem here. The brackets are welded inside and out, and across the bottom of the frame. That's in addition to being bolted inside and out and the bolts welded in place. Ford REALLY didn't want these brackets moving! Getting the grinder in to cut all the welds is proving to be more than a little difficult. I'd like to re-use the brackets if I can, so I don't want to just chop them off, and I don't want to damage the frame obviously... I wanted to find out how those of you who have successfully removed the brackets have done it.

Thanks

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I ground out the welds that I could get to, had to use a die grinder on some of them, then I ground the bolts off, then I took a BFH and started beating on them until the remaining weld fatigued and broke. Took about an hour for each side. Then I cleaned up the frame with the grinder. I couldn't get the bolt out of the passenger side, so it got filled with weld and ground flat. I was able to reuse the brackets - they have some scarring from the BFH portion, but otherwise were fine.

twisted 66

Contributor
Loc.
Norcal-Tracy
I used a die grinder and a chisel to remove mine.I got them off with no damage,but you could by new ones also from wild horses or others.Take your time and you can get them off for reuse

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Thanks guys.

I also have a set of stock mounts from a '77(ish) F150 that I scavenged when my cousin lifted his truck. I could always use those, but since they mount to the bottom of the frame, I won't be able to mount them at an angle to match the radius arm (which I'm planning to do assuming I can get the stockers off intact).