• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

RestoModern Radio, Bluetooth solution for stock faceplate

amfw

After a lot of work, I am happy to announce that the RestoModern Radio will soon be available for sale via my website at Unrestored-original.com.
The RestoModern Radio is an unamplified bluetooth receiver that brings volume and playback control to the stock faceplate of classic ford broncos, econolines and F100s, while clearing up space behind the dash.
It passes bluetooth audio from your phone to your amplified sound system in your vehicle and allows volume and playback control through the stock faceplate without altering appearance. Volume is controlled with the left knob while playback is controlled with the right. Turn the knob to the right and it will skip to the next track, turn it to the left and it will go to the previous track. Pushing the knob pauses or restarts playback.
This was born out of a desire to enjoy modern Bluetooth connectivity and control while preserving and interacting with the stock faceplate
2023_0405_21442900.jpg
This photo shows a complete stock unit up top, and on the bottom, a stock faceplate with my replica knobs and a RestoModern Radio installed.
You can catch up on some of the evolution here:

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/all-in-one-bluetooth-unit-using-stock-faceplate.317808/

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/stock-faceplate-bluetooth-upgrade.315236/

Video here:

Some FAQs posted below as well as on the website.

The website is new and under construction so please feel free to ask questions or indicate things you may need more info about

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

What is the RestoModern Radio?

It is an unamplified bluetooth receiver that brings volume and playback control to the stock faceplate of classic ford broncos, econolines and F100s, while clearing up space behind the dash.

What does the RestoModern Radio do?

It passes bluetooth audio from your phone to your amplified sound system in your vehicle and allows volume and playback control through the stock faceplate without altering appearance. Volume is controlled with the left knob while playback is controlled with the right. Turn the knob to the right and it will skip to the next track, turn it to the left and it will go to the previous track. Pushing the knob pauses or restarts playback.

Is the RestoModern Radio illuminated?

Yes. It features led illumination that replaces the stock illumination.

What do I do?

I make the bluetooth unit and provide instructions for installation. At time of release, installation requires the slight enlargement of one hole on the faceplate and in each of the knobs if using stock knobs. Replica knobs ship ready to install.

What I don't do:

Maintain inventory of, or restore, OEM faceplates.

What you need for installation to the faceplate:

A stock faceplate, a set of knobs, and a drill with 15/64” drill bit, and a ¼” inch drill bit.

*Keep in mind this unit is unamplified, you will have to connect it to an amplified stereo in your vehicle. There are many resources online for this.

How much does the RestoModern Radio cost?

$195 plus shipping.

Where can I purchase?

Orders may be placed via my website at RestoModernRadio.com

Why RestoModern Radio?

The stock appearance of the Classic Ford vehicles where this radio is found is a huge draw for their owners. At the same time, listening to music is an integral part of many enthusiasts' driving experience, and most people access their tunes through their phones these days. Other attempts to replicate the stock appearance while providing an updated experience miss the mark. This product aims to simply, yet ably, allow vehicle owners to enjoy a modern bluetooth experience while remaining completely faithful to the stock appearance.

Where can I find a stock faceplate?

I have purchased a few through Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, and Craigslist. Prices vary, but I have been able to buy very nice condition complete units for 35-40 dollars after doing some hunting. Northeast Classic Ford Parts also has the main body of the faceplate fairly frequently for about 35 dollars, though they do not usually come with numbers, knobs or glass.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for doing that. I completely missed it the first time around!
Going to read through it in more detail when I get a chance to really sit down and concentrate. Very interested.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Going to read through it in more detail when I get a chance to really sit down and concentrate. Very interested.
I am still ramping up production, but I have 3 more going out this week! I will have a number of units on hand for sale and demo at the BONES May It Forward Event.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
That's a great looking product and a great way to not be fiddling with a mobile phone while driving.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Thank you sir! I love having my tunes but you are exactly right. Messing with volume and track controls (while driving stick) is a recipe for disaster. Glad to have an option that keeps the stock appearance with modern connectivity!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I am still ramping up production, but I have 3 more going out this week! I will have a number of units on hand for sale and demo at the BONES May It Forward Event.

Bet it'll be a big hit

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Assuming you did at Super cel? :) back to top for ya
I wish! Maybe next year I will make it down to TN. Schedule is looking tight, but hoping to have my bronco with the radio installed at May it Forward along with a few units to sell. I'll definitely be going with a demo unit, just still a little unsure if the Bronco will be there this year. (thanks for the ride to the top ;)

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Hey Paul! As it happens I am in California for the week and I will be swinging by WH tomorrow. Would love to say hello if you're around.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Have another one of these going out this week. Also finally got to use mine in MY Bronco on the way to and from May It Forward! Event was great as always and was SUPER psyched to get to demo the RestoModern Radio for NE Classic Ford and one of my favorite local Bronco builders.

sk1nw4lk3r

Do you have any recommendations for the amplifier unit to connect this to? Something small and discrete that can power just a couple of midrange speakers (or the one retrosound one that goes behind the dash grill?

Thanks dude! Beautiful product

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

I have used two different amps for similar projects in the past and have been pleased with the performance of both of them. They have slightly different footprints which gives you options depending on your chosen location. The amps are the Kenwood KAC-M1814 and the Alpine KTP-445U

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

That's a great looking product and a great way to not be fiddling with a mobile phone while driving.
I really like having my windshield mount for the phone when I need navigation as well. Really loving my new 3d printer setup! When I made this mount last year I did the horse and script by leaving negative space in the plastic and filling with colored epoxy resin, and then sand everything down. Got a new phone this year and had to update the dimensions, but it took like 2 minutes to changs the model, and an hour and a half to print with the script done in white plastic. New version is straight out of the printer with zero post processing 20230528_100908.jpg

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Which vendors wiper motors are you using, or custom build?
It was kind of a custom build, but the wiper motors should be the exact same mounting pattern as rhe dual electric setups from wildhorses etc. There's more info here. Some links may be dead, I'll try and update with part numbers at some point soon.

Thread 'Synchronized Dual Electric Wiper Motors (links, pics, write up)' https://classicbroncos.com/forums/t...tric-wiper-motors-links-pics-write-up.313714/

Last edited: