• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Robert Shaw Flowkooler Thermostat test?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Anyone tested one of these before? It’s been years since I’ve tested a thermostat but I just got this one:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRA-330-195

That’s a lot to pay for a thermostat but I figured since I got the matching water pump I might as well.

I just tested it…doesn’t really open at 195° like it should, maybe a tiny, and then around 200° it seems wide open but also seems to stay open after the water drops down way below, so maybe it’s just my ineffective test.

I could use my sous vide at out the water right at 196° and seem but curious if maybe it’s supposed to be progressive and not open all the way but just start at 195?

I don’t want to send this back if it isn’t really faulty.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Did the sous vide at 197° and it sat there for a bit. Didn’t open at all.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I talk to myself all the time…just makes sense that I should do it on here as well.

I tested again and it didn’t open until boiling at 212° and even then I wasn’t sure it was fully open. I contacted summit and they are sending a new one.

👍🏻

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
A 195 stat will start to open at 195. It's not fully open till 12-20 degrees higher. It's how they all work. That's why most EFI cars run at 210 with a 195 stat

Tim

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
A 195 stat will start to open at 195. It's not fully open till 12-20 degrees higher. It's how they all work. That's why most EFI cars run at 210 with a 195 stat

Tim
Thanks, yeah, it did not start to open until around 208-210…not right.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ok, the replacement already came form Summit, so kudos to them!

Ran a new test with both.

New one started to open at 195-196 like it should and closed back up around 191-192, all good.

Faulty one didn’t start opening until 202 and didn’t close back up until 185. Definitely something wrong with that one. It might still work ok, but I’m not gonna use it.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
LOL. Awesome idea to quality check the t-stat in the vide! But did your steak turn out perfect?

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I'll add my $29.99 worth - I've been running the R.S. T stats in both my Broncos for quite a while now and haven't had any issues with em , and if I ever do I'll replace those with more Robert Shaws. -- on a side note: if you're running a 351" Cleveland" the R.S. t stat is just about the only one that'll cool your motor as it is designed for the Cleveland {with the by-pass "hat"} .

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I had the opposite issue. It took forever to get warmed up. As in 15 miles of highway to get up to the rated 180 and have heat on cool mornings. Once warmed up it held the 180 most of the time, creeping up to 200 on those AZ summer days while stuck in traffic.

Did another build, got a motorcraft thermostat for a mustang that happens to look nearly identical to the RS and that ran perfect.

MB16

Anyone tested one of these before? It’s been years since I’ve tested a thermostat but I just got this one:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRA-330-195

That’s a lot to pay for a thermostat but I figured since I got the matching water pump I might as well.

I just tested it…doesn’t really open at 195° like it should, maybe a tiny, and then around 200° it seems wide open but also seems to stay open after the water drops down way below, so maybe it’s just my ineffective test.

I could use my sous vide at out the water right at 196° and seem but curious if maybe it’s supposed to be progressive and not open all the way but just start at 195?

I don’t want to send this back if it isn’t really fault
If the Robert Shaw t-stat is not all brass and copper construction ie. The top portion is stainless steel it is a copy not the real thing. Most supply houses sell knock-offs.
FlowKooler has the real one. This may be why you were having inconsistent opening and closing temps.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
This one is FlowKooler. First one was just bad. Second one passed the test.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Attachments

• IMG_3849.jpeg
    IMG_3849.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3848.jpeg
    IMG_3848.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 14