• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rocker trim molding clips?

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone use something other then stock clips and have it work... or is stock the only way to go?

Thanks Jeff

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Rich, if you ever get the itch to sell that rocker trim, please remember my name!

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Hey Jeff,

I found some fasteners that work great for the ends that bolt thru the front and rear fender. I'm also planning to modify these to work in the center rocker section by cutting the bolt off and using modern 3M tape. By doing this, itgive a better contact area to the body, at least thats the theory.

That's the best I've found after a couple years of looking. There is also a fastner speciality store that I have yet to call that might be able to provide some insight for options. I'll post up the info late tonight (and I do mean LATE). Don't have it with me.

Anton

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Rich, if you ever get the itch to sell that rocker trim, please remember my name!

I've got a few sets, but I'm outta town till November. If I decide to sell any, I'll keep you in mind. Sorry about the hijack:-[ I'm embarrassed.

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Here's the company. Call them and see what they can do. I'll try to find the clip I'm using for the ends in the catalog.
da2enyha.jpg

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Here's a few examples from their catalog... I'm using one on pg. 133 on the lower left corner(2356), but I'm sure some of the others are closer to stock... Make sure you post up whatever you find out.
epymunas.jpg

junejamu.jpg

umybuzeb.jpg

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Rich, thanks... that's all good info you gave me! Have another question for you. Why did Ford use a different type of clip (spring like) on the ends/fenders of the rocker trim compared to the white plastic snap on clip on the rocker section of the molding? The few trucks that I have I never had any complete molding and/or clips to really see for myself on how it actually works.

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Hey Rich, thanks... that's all good info you gave me! Have another question for you. Why did Ford use a different type of clip (spring like) on the ends/fenders of the rocker trim compared to the white plastic snap on clip on the rocker section of the molding? The few trucks that I have I never had any complete molding and/or clips to really see for myself on how it actually works.

Because the rocker trim overlaps the front fender and the rear quarters, you are able to use a bolt on clip (clip slides on trim, bolt goes through the fender/quarter, then nut on the backside). The center part (the actual rocker) is solid on the back and underside, so there's no access for a bolt. The center clips are riveted to the body, then the trim snaps on the clips. That's the reason they are so hard to find in good condition, once you pull the trim off the little tabs on the clips usually break, rendering them useless. Also, having the ends bolted on helps them from being accidentally torn off.

Anton

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Because the rocker trim overlaps the front fender and the rear quarters, you are able to use a bolt on clip (clip slides on trim, bolt goes through the fender/quarter, then nut on the backside). The center part (the actual rocker) is solid on the back and underside, so there's no access for a bolt. The center clips are riveted to the body, then the trim snaps on the clips. That's the reason they are so hard to find in good condition, once you pull the trim off the little tabs on the clips usually break, rendering them useless. Also, having the ends bolted on helps them from being accidentally torn off.

Anton
Thanks again for getting back. Please let me go back and refine my question a bit. I already had the mounting of the clips figure out but what I didn't understand is, why the front and back clips where a spring style while the middle clips where snap on? Does either style have greater importance (like hold tighter or adjustable) or "that's what Ford had so, that's what Ford used"? lol. Realize the fender /ends clips were through bolt style and the middle clips were pop riveted on. So, regardless how they mount... is there a vantage of one style over the other? Can I use all one style clip for the whole rocker molding???

Thanks for taking the time to help me through this! Jeff

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
The spring style simply held the clip in place when you installed it. It also kept it from rotating when you tightened the bolt. Not sure if that answers your question.

It's the same with belt line trim. But I've seen bronco's that used all bolt on clips on one door, then two bolt on and three rivet clips on the other side. Maybe just depended on what the tech grabbed?

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The spring style simply held the clip in place when you installed it. It also kept it from rotating when you tightened the bolt. Not sure if that answers your question.

It's the same with belt line trim. But I've seen bronco's that used all bolt on clips on one door, then two bolt on and three rivet clips on the other side. Maybe just depended on what the tech grabbed?

Yeah that answers pretty much my question. I guess I was looking to deep into the reasons of how and why. lol I just never had the fun and pleasure of taking rocker molding off a bronco so I didn't understand the reasoning behind Ford's madness. lol

Thanks for all your help and if you think or come up with anything else let me know, Jeff