• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rookie mistake need HELP!

macascio

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
Okay this is one that makes you say DAMN! I just drilled through my aux tank, it is a plastic tank and now it has a nice little hole in it. My question is can i patch it or do i need to purchase a new one, thanks in advance!

mark

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Screw it! No really, put a screw in it with some sealer.

OP
OP
M

macascio

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
What type of sealer will not be affected by the gas? I actually did but a screww in it because i filled it up tonight and thats when i discovered the leak, the screw plugged it but for how long? tia mark

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
JB Weld is gas resistant, used it to patch the tank in my Mustang. There are some RTV's that are gas resistant too - just look on the packaging.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Jb weld works. If you go to the hardware store, jb weld makes some epoxy putty that works even better, and some parts houses have some special epoxy putty that is made for gas tank repair. Just wire brush the hole and stick some of this on, even while leaking. I have seen it work, very impressive.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
don't feel too bad, i drilled a hole in the top of my tranny cover. %)

That is the slow method. I put a nice hole in the top of my tranny cover with a 9mm slug. Much faster way to git r dun.;D

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That is the slow method. I put a nice hole in the top of my tranny cover with a 9mm slug. Much faster way to git r dun.;D

Just call it a vent hole. The lead probably helps lube the gears too.;)

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
Go to NAPA and get a fuel tank repair kit. Looks and works like epoxy or JB Metel weld. It is made specifically for fuel tanks, Poly or steel. Otherwise a metal screw withan oring under it works and can be a permanent fix.