• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rounded spark plug from rust = no removal **Update**

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Hey,
got a rounded spark plug in a 302 that doesn't have any 'hex" left to it due to rust (crappy Champion plug). Is there a tool/socket with teeth or cuts in it that will bite into what's left of the rotten plug? Thanks
-super-

Last edited:

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
You might try breaking off the electrode and welding a 3/4" nut on the top of the plug. I've done a similar thing on a headbolt before. A sparkplug probably isn't torqued too hard. Be sure to soak it in plenty of WD40 before you try wrenching it.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I would probably knock the electrode off and try the Craftsman Boltout or similar tool. These look like sockets, but have a spiral fluted design on the inside that grip as the socket is turned. I've seen them in other brands as well, so you might look around. Most places have a Sears nearby, though, so it might be worth the extra few bucks for the convenience of knowing where to get them. I couldn't tell you if they have a size that would work, though.

Case

I agree with rustbucket, try sears easy out ( i think that whats it called) I would also get a propane tourch and heat the engine block up and use some WD-40. Remember that the WD-40 is very flammable, so be careful not to set anything on fire. Good luck. ;D

hackyrat

If you are using a 12 point socket, go to a 6 point socket. They will provide a larger contact surface.

ricks77eb

Loc.
Deer Park, Texas
Check these out...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...&vertical=SEARS&pid=00952160000&bidsite=CRAFT

I have seen them on the shelf at the Sears Hardware down the street and they look like they would do the job but I have never used one (although I have been thinking about getting a set) so I cannot give my personal endorsement (not that it is worth much).

Lots of WD-40 and a little luck and it should come right out (maybe)

Rick

OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Man, I got to tell ya, this site is awesome..

I also have to be honest, this thread wasn't for my EB, but instead for my new (used) boat I bought, a 1994 Seaswirl Striper W/A with a OMC Ford 302. Hey it's still a Ford!!!;D ;D . Didn't mean to be misleading, but I need the thing in the water this W/E and I know you all would help.
I posted the same exact question, verbatim (sp?) on a boating forum and got nothing back - absolutely no feasible solution. One guy recommended epoxying a socket to the plug?:eek: %) %) %) :p . I highly doubt that would work...

Just wanna say thanks all, and you all are a bunch of chillin' groovy folks ;D

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
i have used the bolt-out kits on many occasions and they do work. however, you may want to consider the impact grade socket kit instead of the one pictured above. the sockets work much better in tight spaces and mate much more securely with a drive tool.

76 explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
oklahoma city
i second the idea of trying the bolt outs. i have a set of them and although i havent had to use them often (like 3 times in the last year) they worked flawlessly and saved me a lot of frustration.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Ok.. Now we are talking water issues... If it was exposed to salt you probably have some salt deposits that are causing the plug to be stubborn. Get one of those lime remover products and brush on the concentrated stuff on it a few times. After that you can hit it with a penatrator like PB Blaster. Then go after it with whatever you can get to grip onto it. If you can, get a hammer in there and tap the sides a few times also... There is a socket out there called the "Gator" that suppose to fit all sizes and I have heard of a lot of success with striped spark plugs..

OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
K, Update folks...
the core of the plug came out, now alls that's left is the rusty shell of the plug, still in the block. The bolt-outs won't work cus there's nothing left to grab onto. I went on got some easy outs, where you drill in reverse then slide the chunky part down to attempt to losen it up.
Well, the easy out is still in there and I haven't got the shell of the plug out. I fear this may be over my head as I think I may have exhausted all my knowledge, and I don't wanna drill and tap the block - not experienced enough for that.

Thanks for all your help.
-steve-

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
supermottl said:
K, Update folks...
the core of the plug came out, now alls that's left is the rusty shell of the plug, still in the block. The bolt-outs won't work cus there's nothing left to grab onto. I went on got some easy outs, where you drill in reverse then slide the chunky part down to attempt to losen it up.
Well, the easy out is still in there and I haven't got the shell of the plug out. I fear this may be over my head as I think I may have exhausted all my knowledge, and I don't wanna drill and tap the block - not experienced enough for that.

Thanks for all your help.
-steve-

Another thought to concider is to do a couple of cycles of heating and quenching the plug shell with some flame. The expansion cycle of the metal might be enough to break the bond. Remove the ez out before you do this. Heating the ez out will make it brittle and break. Something you dont want to do. After you get the plug out ( and you will...gotta think positive) Take a small hose, stick it in the sparkplug hole a ways and put some compressed air to it to blow anything out that might have gone into the cyl.

Remember impatience is your enemy. Take your time and let these methods work for you. Its when you hurry something like this is when you run into trouble, and trouble = $. ;)

Dan

OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
OK Yeah, I'l try some heat. Haven't gone there yet.
Thanks for the positive vibes. I'm trying to get the boat ready for Mem Day WE ya know? Should be OK though. Didn't do anything with it today... kinda goomy here and I just cleaned and waxed today.... slow day.