• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

San Felipe Weld In Cage Kit

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I am going to add a front cage to my 4 point ,I have now. I'm looking at the one WH sell's, and wanted to know if anyone has installed this one and how hard it was, I know it need's to be welded in. Does the bars in the kit, that attach to the existing roll bar and the cross bar up front , have the notches all ready cut in the bars?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that you need to fishmouth the trailing ends to properly fit the main bar. You may also need to shorten the front legs where they weld to the foot pads.
Making them this way leaves enough material in the beginning to account for different bars that are not mounted exactly like one another, or even different brands of bars that don't mount in the same position as the San Felipe main hoop does. Also to account for different owner preferences as to where they like the bars the best.

Is yours a known San Felipe, or another brand?

Paul

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Hey Paul, I'm not sure what brand of roll bar it is, it does come in three pcs, and the two legs bolt to the hoop. Here are some pics of the roll bar, but I'm not sure if you can tell the brand, it was in the bronco when I bought it 21 years ago.

Attachments

• DSCN0737.jpg
    DSCN0737.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN0738.jpg
    DSCN0738.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN0739.jpg
    DSCN0739.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN0740.jpg
    DSCN0740.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0741.jpg
    DSCN0741.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0743.jpg
    DSCN0743.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Looks close if not the same. The front weld in parts need to be fit anyway and they have extra on both ends. You should be good to go.
Mark.
Sounds great, I'll have to figure the best way to fish mouth the ends.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you planning to leave the top off, or put it back on once the cage is installed? Will you ever run around without the top?
Asking because if you are, I would chop off those angle slashers pronto!

The rear straps that hold the tailgate weather seal and double as some additional bracing for the top and body aren't really needed as far as I'm concerned. If the top stays on, then it's great to have them unmolested and original. But if the family is ever bopping around in the topless Bronco, those nasty things can really take a bite out of someone's fun.

Just a heads up.

Paul

OP
OP
savage

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I don't plan on using the hard top, I want to run your Bestop Supertop Roadster Combo, when funds are available. But for now I want to put a front cage in. So on those rear brackets, I can just take a sawjall and cut them off or may be a grinder.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep. It's possible to cut them in place, but I would mark them just below the top of the body/bedrail, then pull them off and cut them in a vise or clamp. Sawzall probably won't work well. Nor would a jigsaw because the metal is tough AND flexible. If held tight enough though, they might work.
A grinder would do the trick for sure.

Now that I think about it some though, I believe we cut all of ours off with simple hacksaws. Of course, we'd never seen a hand held angle grinder and only dreamed of having a reciprocating saw like a Sawzall! Hah, those were the days.

Heck, maybe you could integrate them into some sort of blocking cap for the stake pocket holes in the corner? With the soft top that hole is open to the outside and will suck the dust into the cabin, as well as exhaust fumes.
Closing off those holes is a big bonus with a soft top.

Paul