• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shock Absorber advice needed

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Bronncitis74, in your original post, you said Wild Horses had made a shock absorber recommendation to help with this problem.
It looks like yours (like. Mine) are variable rate front coil springs. These ride very nice, but will dive a bit, increasing the famous "Bronco" drama. To make matters worse, if you have 70/30 valved shocks, you won"t get much dive control out of them. That type is valved for only 30% on compression and 70% on rebound.
So, that's something you may consider if the recommended adjustments don't fix the issue.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If that's true, how then do I center the body over the front axle?

To center the body over the front end I attached a come-along from the axle to the frame and pulled it snug. Then I removed the track bar, drew the cable tighter, and measured down from my fenders to the tires. Once I had the sides equal, I adjusted and reinstalled the track bar, then removed the come along.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Along with the come-a-long trick, if you leave the steering linkage connected and the tires on the ground (since the trackbar carries no load, you do not have to jack up the truck to remove it) you can turn the steering wheel.
As you turn the steering wheel, instead of the wheels and tires turning, the whole body/frame assembly moves left or right over the suspension. It's a strange feeling, but one that makes you very aware that you never want to have a trackbar mount break!

Anyway, as you move the steering you can fine-tune the positioning.
And again, use the frame as your reference instead of the body. The body might get you close, but the frame is the actual point of reference.
Of course, if you verify first that your body and frame are in sync, then you can use whatever you want.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
^^^like he said. If it also wanders on acceleration it could be in the rear. On one occasion I had your wandering issue and it ended up my rear carrier was cracked almost all the way around the ring gear ready to grenade. The next time I had the issue it was a broken U-bolt on the rear. To center the front end take some string with weights on the ends. Run it across the frame so the weighted ends hang down in front of the front axle. Each end should hang down on the outsides of the frame. Then measure to the c-caps or a common point on both sides of the axle.

Yeah, good thing to check

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Along with the come-a-long trick, if you leave the steering linkage connected and the tires on the ground (since the trackbar carries no load, you do not have to jack up the truck to remove it) you can turn the steering wheel.
As you turn the steering wheel, instead of the wheels and tires turning, the whole body/frame assembly moves left or right over the suspension. It's a strange feeling, but one that makes you very aware that you never want to have a trackbar mount break!

Anyway, as you move the steering you can fine-tune the positioning.
And again, use the frame as your reference instead of the body. The body might get you close, but the frame is the actual point of reference.
Of course, if you verify first that your body and frame are in sync, then you can use whatever you want.

Paul

Frame for reference definitely

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You could probably stand to lose a few pounds (sorry, not getting personal;)) in the rear tires initially. But that's not likely enough to be a notable cause of your issue.

Paul

Sounds personal, LOL

OP
OP
BRONCITIS74

BRONCITIS74

Contributor
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I started with the air pressure. Went to 26 psi in front and 24 in the back. This was after a couple times. The steering improved. That was the easiest to do. Today I will try changing the toe in and let you know what happens. This is a great forum and I appreciate all the help.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I started with the air pressure. Went to 26 psi in front and 24 in the back. This was after a couple times. The steering improved. That was the easiest to do. Today I will try changing the toe in and let you know what happens. This is a great forum and I appreciate all the help.

Glad it's getting better.. Best method is what you're doing. Just one thing a time, till it improves to your liking.

Good luck. U got this!