• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Should I Buy An Early Bronco??

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
Welcome

For sure you must get a Bronco to satisfy that itch.

Be patient and look around north GA, eastern TN, and western NC and I bet you can find a nice one.

As others have said, determine what your priorities (both, near and long term).

Also, avoiding rust is well worth the premium you will likely pay for one in great condition. Make sure you research and understand emission regulations for your state / county.

Biggest recommendation would be to find some local Bronco enthusiasts and pick their brains and look at their rigs. Don't be afraid to offer to help or jump in on one of their projects as a way to learn.

Good luck with your upcoming adventure !

OP
OP
L

Lornemalvo

Wow thanks you guys really know a lot more than I do. Once I can buy one I'll make sure to post pics.

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
I got my bronco when I was in highschool, all the work was totally worth it nothing better, the gas mileage for me was about 12mpg between in town and highway, all highway gets about 15 to 17 for me and that is a little higher than normal. Gas mileage will depend on your driving habits and how the bronco is built. An overdrive transmission will help with mileage but will be expensive. Smallish tires will help as well, the best thing will be to get the engine running perfectly and tuned well, and your driving habits. When you are shopping for the bronco keep in mind the cost of what needs to be fixed vs. what you would pay for it. If you have questions or need help looking at the bronco and determining a value ask here on the forum there are plenty of members who would gladly give there opinion and help you look at it.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you worry about gas mileage then sell your Cherokee and get a small car or truck with part of the money.

Owning a Bronco is about the smile it puts on your face when you drive it.

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome to CB and your future addiction! I definitely agree about keeping your Cherokee as having that backup vehicle will make all of the difference. I'm not sure what broncos are available in the for sale section here on CB, but if I was ever looking for another bronco, that'd be the place I'd look. Nothing like purchasing a bronco from a member here vs. some unknown. Still they're out there, you just gotta get knowledgeable about things to look out for.

...can't wait to see what you find. ;)

Good luck!

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
I But keep your Heep .. You'll need it on some mornings that the Bronco doesn't want to attend class.

^ This. My first instinct is always to say no, don't use it as a daily. But 40-ish years ago these guys were daily drivers I suppose.

I'm like Pa, my 70 Stang and my 76 EB aren't daylies, for my DD I drive a boring fuel injected, ac, auto, etc that gets 30 mpg 2013 Camaro. But I realize not everyone can float a couple of rides.

I'll say the same thing I told my bro-in-law when he grabbed his CJ7 heep, keep the DD beater!

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
If you fix up a 70's vehicle to like new mechanical condition, it is a fine daily driver. Like said earlier, they were driven thousands of miles off the showroom floor. But the 70's truck not as plush as the modern rides of course. My 1977 FJ40 is my daily driver. Put over 12K miles on it last year, not one minutes problem. Headed for about the same mileage this year.

Regarding gas mileage, I get 11 mpg. But if you do the math you can justify it. Paid for FJ40 means it costs me property tax, insurance, maintenance and gas. If someone buys a newer car they probably have a payment and higher property tax. So annually they have car payment, property tax, insurance, maintenance and gas.

If my brain is working today, 12K miles is like 1091 gallons of gas at 11 mpg. At $3 per gallon that cost me $3273 that year. I really enjoy driving the old thing, so the gas is not an issue for me.

If I got 30 mpg then it is 400 gallons. Times $3 = $1200 in gas. Third the cost, but I am maintaining two vehicles (insurance, maintenance, property tax). So I think my old daily driver ends up being less in annual costs. Just my thoughts of course.

But, you need to make sure the vehicle is mechanically sound. You need to be your own mechanic for it to be a cost savings. If you can't turn a wrench you might not want an old vehicle. The shop costs would kill you.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Stay way from a seller in Fackler, Alabama that's been known to have on socks with sandals.

He loves to keep all seat belts n spray bed liner inside n out on all Broncos.Just sayin...