• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

should I buy reman or used hydroboost ?

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
I'm not sure how long these things typically last - looking at getting one from an F250, from around 2000 give or take a year. Used ones w/ 150-200k miles are about $50-60 shipped, or I can get a reman for $165. What would you do?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I've used three or four used GM hydro's with great success. There's not many moving parts in them, It's basically a valve. I would go with a used one for $50. If you spend the money for the reman., you'll need to furnish a core anyway, probably be more than $50.

Mark

Crazyone

Loc.
Aurora
Iv'e been in the automotive parts business for a long time and you need to see were stuff comes from now. A lot of the re-man stuff is better than the new these days because generally the new stuff is coming from China and the re-man stuff is done here in the US. I always check where stuff comes from before I buy, especially electrical items.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I paid $60 for a Astrovan from junkyard working great now for 6 years. I have total of $110 in it using nice SS braided lines.

OP
OP
rockerZ71

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
Thanks y'all, leaning towards the used one -- although the $165 for reman included the core charge. Although garberz when you say youve used 4 do you mean each in a different vehicle or you have replaced it multiple times? Because if I should expect them to fail any time soon (already having 200k miles on the part) then the reman sounds like a much better deal

OP
OP
rockerZ71

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
I paid $60 for a Astrovan from junkyard working great now for 6 years. I have total of $110 in it using nice SS braided lines.

cool and I assume that van probably had a good number of miles on it so it sounds like these things don't go bad too quickly

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I recently replaced one on a 1999 F250 SD with about 160k that had a leak, which seems pretty typical for most HB units that get reasonably well cared for. Bosch has made improvements to the design over the years since 1973, so the newer units are definitely more refined and reliable in my experience. Given a choice between a newer unit or a lower mileage unit, I would take the newer one every time.

OP
OP
rockerZ71

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
I recently replaced one on a 1999 F250 SD with about 160k that had a leak, which seems pretty typical for most HB units that get reasonably well cared for. Bosch has made improvements to the design over the years since 1973, so the newer units are definitely more refined and reliable in my experience. Given a choice between a newer unit or a lower mileage unit, I would take the newer one every time.

Thanks! I had decided to get a used part, had it narrowed down to one from an '08 SD for $60 with 105k on it, and one from an '05 SD with 80-something on it for $85, and I got the '08 unit for $60 shipped

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks! I had decided to get a used part, had it narrowed down to one from an '08 SD for $60 with 105k on it, and one from an '05 SD with 80-something on it for $85, and I got the '08 unit for $60 shipped

Either one should serve you fine. I always look for nice dry ones when I'm picking them in the junkyard.

Todd Z.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Thanks y'all, leaning towards the used one -- although the $165 for reman included the core charge. Although garberz when you say youve used 4 do you mean each in a different vehicle or you have replaced it multiple times? Because if I should expect them to fail any time soon (already having 200k miles on the part) then the reman sounds like a much better deal

I meant 4 different Broncos that I did this conversion on. None of them have failed. I did mine in 10', it's a daily driver and I grabbed the HB off a 97' Astro.

Mark

OP
OP
rockerZ71

rockerZ71

Loc.
Lawrenceville GA
I know I need to do more research but any tips on what else I am going to need to get would be very helpful. I have a '76 with vacuum booster. 3spd manual, 302 from '93 mustang.

I had seen the power steering fitting kits on ebay recommended here, and also the adjustable pushrod things. Not sure if either of those are applicable to my MC/booster combo though.

I've got a master cylinder for an 85 dodge diplomat on the way. I'd like to do it up fancy style with nice looking hoses, fittings, etc

I believe it is a factory style PS pump so I need a T fitting in one of the lines I know