• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Show off your James Duff, Duck Tuff Tire Carrier

OP
OP
gnsteam

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Heres mine. I was kind of dissapointed in the tire fitment of the wheel mounting area myself. I had to weld some longer studs on and space the center out a bit to get my 35x 12.50 tire to mount . But all in all it is a well made product
I two thought the mounting area could use some improvement. I get it, that you can't build a carrier that will fit every possible wheel and tire combination. So I am fine with making modifications as needed. I am running the 17 x 9 US Indy Slots with BFG 35" x 12.5" KO2's. When bolting the wheel and tire up to the carrier mount. The tire is compressed about 3/8" against the frame work of the carrier. Not a huge amount of interference. But I was thinking about adding something to support the wheel at the center hub hole. To aid in mounting the larger tire and added support. I also decided to try and incorporated a third break light in this support as well. Here is what I came up with.
I made a 3/8" spacer plate that bolts to the carriers mounting surface with 3/8" SS flat head screws. I then added three press fitted 1/2" x 3" dowel pins through both plates. The three dowel pins creates a three point support for the inter wheel hub to trest on. The dowel pins are a little over a 1/2" longer than the longer wheel studs that I purchased. This allows you to rest the wheel on the pins as you alien the wheel up to the mounting studs. Next I machined a 3.5" diameter x 1.5" aluminum mount. For a 3" (3.160) led tail light I found on Ebay. The mount is held onto the spacer plate with four, 1/4" SS screws from the back side. Next up will be to figure out the feeding of the break light wires, through the carrier tubing. To an exit point near the carrier hinge. Here are a few pictures of my progress thus far.

Attachments

• PXL_20230903_205134936.jpg
    PXL_20230903_205134936.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20230903_205119583.jpg
    PXL_20230903_205119583.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20230903_205125659.jpg
    PXL_20230903_205125659.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20230903_205159838.jpg
    PXL_20230903_205159838.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 26

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's mine along with the filler panel for my 2" lift. I just didn't like the hi-lift jack sticking up in the air so made the Tauler Jack fit. You can't even tell it's there.

Attachments

• IMG_1755[1].JPG
    IMG_1755[1].JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1812[1].JPG
    IMG_1812[1].JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
gnsteam

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Here's mine along with the filler panel for my 2" lift. I just didn't like the hi-lift jack sticking up in the air so made the Tauler Jack fit. You can't even tell it's there.
I was wondering if that jack would fit. Great post, thanks.

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was wondering if that jack would fit. Great post, thanks.
You will need to cut off the tab that was meant for securing the hi-lift. I placed some thick rubber pieces on the bottom plate to keep it quiet and to fill the void between it and the base of the jack. I then drilled two holes , as you can see, in the base and snugged it down with nylock nuts. You have to rotate the base to the narrowest positon to clear the tailgate. I put a thin piece of rubber on the vertical portion between the jack and the carrier. Don't try to use the pre-existing hole in the base. It will interfere with closing it.

OP
OP
gnsteam

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
You will need to cut off the tab that was meant for securing the hi-lift. I placed some thick rubber pieces on the bottom plate to keep it quiet and to fill the void between it and the base of the jack. I then drilled two holes , as you can see, in the base and snugged it down with nylock nuts. You have to rotate the base to the narrowest positon to clear the tailgate. I put a thin piece of rubber on the vertical portion between the jack and the carrier. Don't try to use the pre-existing hole in the base. It will interfere with closing it.
Thanks.

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I wish they would have continued the re-enforcement across the entire bumper with a mount for the cooler or gas can mount on the other side.