• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Single or Twin stick

levib1

What are the benefits of a single vs. twin stick for the guy that doesn't plan any serious off roading. Just using the Bronco for hunting FS roads and going skiing/driving in the snow.

I don't see any benefit to putting front in low, rear in neutral, at least for how I plan to use vehicle.

Unless a twin stick shifts 'easier'?

If the single stick is the route to go, any recommendations on a simple single stick install? I don't like the stock t-shift set up, and would rather just a shifter and knob, not all the aparatus that goes with the stock set-up.

Thoughts?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
You can make or install a 66 shifter, single stick. Rear 2wd low is handy but you can leave the hubs unlocked and that’s what you have anyway.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Twins because J shift suck 😀 but you have a T so I'm not sure in your case.

Looks cool....

Tim

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Since you already have a T case, there's not going to be any advantage to a twin stick unless you break into your transfer case and mod the rails so you can run the front axle alone. If it were a J I'd say do it, much easier shifting.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Both Okie and yeller are correct on this subject. the T case has to have the shift rails modified to make it a true twin stick like Okie has mentioned.
Yeller says you can still shift it into 4 wheel low with the hubs unlocked. This will let you have some fun with the lower gears with the 2 wheel drive rear. You are in 4 hell but with the hubs unlocked it's really just 2 wheel drive.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How does it shift now?
They are notoriously finicky, but sometimes that’s a matter of the new owner getting used to it. Other times there is something wrong, or it just wants to mess with your mind.

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
I don't need the twins but they are so cool-looking. I have them in a box but I dont want to open up a can of worms trying to install them.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Both Okie and yeller are correct on this subject. the T case has to have the shift rails modified to make it a true twin stick like Okie has mentioned.
Yeller says you can still shift it into 4 wheel low with the hubs unlocked. This will let you have some fun with the lower gears with the 2 wheel drive rear. You are in 4 hell but with the hubs unlocked it's really just 2 wheel drive.
With the T shifter, theres a spot just before 4x4 low where it will run rear only low. I use this alot backing into my garage. I put the twin stick on the J shifter. Never bothered on the other with T shifter.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
With the T shifter, theres a spot just before 4x4 low where it will run rear only low. I use this alot backing into my garage. I put the twin stick on the J shifter. Never bothered on the other with T shifter.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
For a short time in 66' there was a dash sticker that actually showed the 2L position lol. 99% of folks with a T don't realize that it's there, but it can definitely be felt.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe JB Fab could make a dummy 2nd stick that sits next to the actual shifter and bolts to the floor under the boot? :p

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I used duff single stick on my j shifter. much better than the factory designed shifter. I use to tow extremely heavy Rose Parade floats on hard pavement in 4 low with the front hubs unlocked. I don't see any reason to complicate things. unless you drive rock gardens with extremely tight turns with front or rear digs but I have never encounter that. and hope to never have that issue especially with a Dana 20.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
my factory j shift wouldn't shift into anything other than 2wd I got the truck with 10,000 miles on it 45 years ago and the original owner couldn't get ford to fix it, so he never used it. ford redesigned the j shift 3 times during its running life. the first in 1973, due to bad press changed in early 1974 which was total junk and then again late in 1974 that ran until the end of production. Finally fixed it when Duff redesigned it.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
my factory j shift wouldn't shift into anything other than 2wd I got the truck with 10,000 miles on it 45 years ago and the original owner couldn't get ford to fix it, so he never used it. ford redesigned the j shift 3 times during its running life. the first in 1973, due to bad press changed in early 1974 which was total junk and then again late in 1974 that ran until the end of production. Finally fixed it when Duff redesigned it.
I must have had the early 74 cause mine was garbage. Love the twins. My t-case stays in gear now and shift fine when needed.

Tim