• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

smoke coming out of the dash

MI-Bronco

ok - I should have but didn't chang my wiring yet. However, I did put in a new light switch. Since then (really don't know if it's related) - I've had all sorts of electrical problems. Lights work, but cluster light flickers - turn signal indicator lights go on when I hit the brakes. Turn signal goes on (right side) if I plug in the flasher. Tonight, I'm driving home with the lights on and smoke starts coming out of the dash.

Turns out one of the brown wires attached to the light switch melted (285 on wiring diagram), and caused colateral damage to other wires.

Now, before you tell me it's the ground - I agree!! What seems funny is I just sanded down the grounding strap on the rear drivers side light. And guess where Mr. Brown 285 goes to? Right, the driver rear light.

So, I guess it's time for new wiring - and I'm making sure it is grounded even if I have to drive around with a 4' ground rod dragging behind me!!!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Be sure you have a good ground going from the battery to the motor and the motor to the body. If there isn't a good ground then the truck will use whatever ground path it can find even if it is not enough to carry the current.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Are you sure you weren't in a British car! I can't recall the number of times my dash's would go up in smoke!

Look into the Ron Francis kits!

OP
OP
MI-Bronco

MI-Bronco

Sounds like the right approach..

Does anyone have any pics of how they grounded the engine to body?

OP
OP
MI-Bronco

MI-Bronco

MnkyBiz said:
Are you sure you weren't in a British car! I can't recall the number of times my dash's would go up in smoke!

Those were the days - British cars and bikes - Lucas wiring that turned to smoke just looking at it.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?
A: Lucas parts in their fridges.

Back to the dash, "F" the ground theory. If you had an inadequate ground, the indicators wouldn't come on. If anything, you have too many grounds. (read: SHORTS)

Most likely your prob is in the turn signal switch. Thats where the brake light switch ties in with the rest of the lighting.

OP
OP
MI-Bronco

MI-Bronco

This ones got me boggled - ground is useually the problem. But I know I have a short (cluster light also flicers while driving).

And, I agree with signal switch - just got another from Jeffs yesterday. So, that will be replaced, but I don't want to put a new switch in and fry my wires again.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
My suggestion (you prob dont want to hear this) Is to replace with all new. Something I will do for I really dont trust mine either since it smoked. Seems when you were under there and moved things around some the wires didnt like to be disturbed. Dosent convey much comfort to me.

Think about this, How much time, money do you have into your rig?.......For @$400 or so it could save you the heartache of watching you labor of love fry itself into a hunk of burnt metal. It does happen.

Dan

OP
OP
MI-Bronco

MI-Bronco

Jeepster said:
My suggestion (you prob dont want to hear this) Is to replace with all new. Something I will do for I really dont trust mine either since it smoked. Seems when you were under there and moved things around some the wires didnt like to be disturbed. Dosent convey much comfort to me.

Think about this, How much time, money do you have into your rig?.......For @$400 or so it could save you the heartache of watching you labor of love fry itself into a hunk of burnt metal. It does happen.

Dan

Thanks Dan - I actually don't mind hearing it. That's what I was thinking. Not only do I worry about causing some serious problems, but I think it'll be a waste of time trying to chase these gremlins down for the next ~ years. $400 and a weekend and I'll feel safer and things will most likely work better.

And I'm sure it happened as you said - I was moving the instrument cluster around and must have pulled the wires once too hard....

Thanks for the nudge..
Tom