• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil coming from drivers header with smoke and FIRE "update, looks like it is gas"

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oil coming from drivers header with smoke and FIRE "update, looks like it is gas"

I am getting a junk yard 5.0 running with EFI. Yesterday it was running good and started to smoke from drivers side header, then I saw oil coming out of the header blowing on the front drive shaft. I turned it off and cranked it back up, I gave it some gas to see if it would clear and fire came out of the drivers side header, I killed it and the fire continued to burn for about 10 seconds. Does this sound like a broken/stuck ring that would let that much oil through?

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
More like a hole in a piston. Maybe try a compression test.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Yeah, you got some problems in a cylinder....you will be lucky if it is just a ring.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Could a EFI problem cause this problem? It was not doing this till yesterday, and it has been running but not driving for a few months.

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
Is ur pcv valve stuck open or do u have it plumbed into a full vac port? u would still have to have a lot of blow by to push that much oil mist into the intake, and for it only to come out one side is odd. Blown head gasket at a oil port maybe? check the oil level while ur at it, if its higher then u filled it u could have fuel getting into your case from leaky injectors. I dont understand how it was running good and still blowing oil out the exhaust i would think there would be a miss of some sort. Are u sure it was coming out the pipe and not just running down it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Could a EFI problem cause this problem? It was not doing this till yesterday, and it has been running but not driving for a few months.

I will say probably not.

Fire out the headers is pretty common. Just about any gas engine with open headers is capable of spitting fire out the headers. Cold start, rich mix, plenty of excess fuel for the fire.

Now the "oil" part of it. That is completely different. It may need as little as a good warming up to clean the residue off, or everything is shot. Hard to tell at this point. It is a bit tough to light cold engine oil on fire, I am not convinced that is what what you saw burning. I think it may have been excess fuel from a cold start. Too hard to tell from here.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will say probably not.

Fire out the headers is pretty common. Just about any gas engine with open headers is capable of spitting fire out the headers. Cold start, rich mix, plenty of excess fuel for the fire.

Now the "oil" part of it. That is completely different. It may need as little as a good warming up to clean the residue off, or everything is shot. Hard to tell at this point. It is a bit tough to light cold engine oil on fire, I am not convinced that is what what you saw burning. I think it may have been excess fuel from a cold start. Too hard to tell from here.

I just started it again and let it run and for about 10 seconds it ran great with no smoke or fluid coming out of the exhaust, then the idle started slowing down and it started to sputter and smoke from the drivers exhaust for bout 10 seconds, then it sounded like it was running on only a few cylinders and I am 99% sure gas started running out of the header for a few seconds before it died and it continued to run out for a few seconds. Any tips?

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
what are u doing for o2 sensors are they hooked up? what year efi map or maf system. a little info on the set up please.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Its a 96 Explorer motor with 89-92 mustang MAF EFI and a RJM harness. I have collectors with o2 sensors bolted to my headers.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Gas or water out the tailpipe? Water is a byproduct of combustion. On a cold engine like you have it is easy to condense a few drops out.

Soak up those few drops of "gas" with a paper towel and go outside. Put a match/lighter to it. You will know real fast if it is gas. I bet it is water. Even if it is smelly water.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just a guess but maybe the fuel pressure regulator is going bad. Had one go bad on a ford ranger and it filled the engine with gas quick

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I checked the drops on a rag and they are flammable. So it is for sure gas.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like I need to send my used injectors off to get rebuilt right?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
pull the plugs on that side and what do they look like?

Also, if it is gas, check you oil for fuel smell, if so, you will want to change oil.