• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Source of factory air replacement parts?

Texas CB

Loc.
Austin
Does anyone have a source for replacement parts for factory AC? I managed to smash the duct that goes to the passenger air vent to day trying to drill out the bushing under the floor pan on that side. The main unit it the middle has broken around the place where both screws attach it to the dash above as well. I can at least run self tapping screws through some of the meat of the plastic next to those if need be but the passenger vent duct is obliterated. :cry:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Considering that these trucks were never made with factory AC, you need to find which aftermarket unit you have. Then see if they are still in business, and if they still have parts.

OP
OP
Texas CB

Texas CB

Loc.
Austin
I thought that factory AC was available in 1977 and thats what my Ranger was equipped with. Was it not? I have seen pics of the same system I have in unmolested survivors of the era. The pic below is one I had saved from the 'Bronco Trim Packages' thread here from a similarly equipped Ranger. The picture happens to be of the exact piece I smashed!

Attachments

• _ranger08.jpg
    _ranger08.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 81

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Many, many EBs were delivered with dealer-installed AC. I'd be willing to bet that was one of, if not the, most popular of all the dealer upgrades, in fact.

Today, the options for AC (and parts for AC) are pretty much limited to those provide by Vintage Air. I have one of the "universal" Vintage Air systems and the vents are different than yours, so I'm no help there.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I thought that factory AC was available in 1977 and thats what my Ranger was equipped with. Was it not? I have seen pics of the same system I have in unmolested survivors of the era. The pic below is one I had saved from the 'Bronco Trim Packages' thread here from a similarly equipped Ranger. The picture happens to be of the exact piece I smashed!

The ones installed at most Ford dealers (as stated earlier, NO first-gen Broncos had air conditioning from the factory) were made by a company called A-R-A. That was one of a handful of businesses making under-dash a/c units, all of which folded up once most every car built had either factory air conditioning or was plumbed for it to be easily added.

Eventually, other companies started building under-dash units, essentially to serve the classic car hobby. The one shown in the picture is found in many Broncos, but added long after it left the dealership, perhaps even to replace a dealer-installed unit that had problems or something.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The ones installed at most Ford dealers (as stated earlier, NO first-gen Broncos had air conditioning from the factory) were made by a company called A-R-A. That was one of a handful of businesses making under-dash a/c units, all of which folded up once most every car built had either factory air conditioning or was plumbed for it to be easily added.

Eventually, other companies started building under-dash units, essentially to serve the classic car hobby. The one shown in the picture is found in many Broncos, but added long after it left the dealership, perhaps even to replace a dealer-installed unit that had problems or something.

I had the dealer install an ARA unit when I bought the car in '77. It cooled but was marginal. The fan was noisy and moved very little air. I replaced it a few years ago with a Vintage Air unit. It cools and blows a lot better but I sure do miss the fresh air heater that the ARA unit had.

OP
OP
Texas CB

Texas CB

Loc.
Austin
Mine actually cranks the cold air nicely. Not that it matters with the top off in the hot months I guess, but since everything is plumbed in, I at least want it to look decent. While the pic above does have the screw placement in the right places, mine has a silver paint on the front edge of the vents. Not sure which one that is but guess it doesn't matter- really pissed at myself for destroying the current one. May have to fab something up to plug the smashed duct and then repaint the whole unit one solid color. Drats.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I had the dealer install an ARA unit when I bought the car in '77. It cooled but was marginal. The fan was noisy and moved very little air. I replaced it a few years ago with a Vintage Air unit. It cools and blows a lot better but I sure do miss the fresh air heater that the ARA unit had.

I have no idea if my ARA unit (probably installed at the dealer when new - it's a fully-loaded Ranger that was sold new in inland SoCal in July) was ever rebuilt or had its fan replaced or modified, but it works great. The fan's a little noisy at the highest speed by modern standards, but it blows frosty-cold air like crazy. Probably helps that it's still R-12.

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I had the same problem with a smashed vent on a ARA unit. I found an old Auto Air shop that had been in business 40+ years in the old part of Downtown Knoxville. They had boxes of old A/C parts and let me dig through and I found several replacement parts. Very cheap too. But that was 15 years ago. They have since went out of business. Try to find an old shop they probably still have stuff lying around.

Also you can weld that plastic. If you can find the same type of plastic shave it, sand it, slice it, etc. take the shavings and mix with Acetone it will create a plastic type of glue. Pour it onto the crack. Dries really fast an it melts the two pieces together.

Another option that I have seen is to remove the side duct altogether and install a vent in the side of the A/C unit it will still blow towards the pass - drivers feet area and takes up a lot less room.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
Back in the day I had a 65 mustang with under dash air, Ford installed, and there was a company called classic auto air out of Florida and they had a lot of stuff. Maybe if they are still in business.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Not trying to hijack the thread but anyone run the Tom's under dash kit? I only ask because I have changed direction a little from a resto mod view to more of a classic look and style with some modern conveniences and that syste would fit the bill otherwise I will be cutting the dash....