• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Speedometer question/ speed cup fix

zenzone

I have taken my gauge cluster apart and I am trying to fix the speedometer. I have the speedometer out and when I spin the cable input by hand the needle turns at the same rate of the magnet inside the speed cup. Seems like the magnet and speed cup are touching inside instead of creating eddy currents to spin the needle. Everything else in the speedometer looks good to my eye. My question is, does anyone know how to get the speed cup apart to inspect and fix or is this speedometer a lost cause and I need to order a new one.

Thanks for any help you may have for me!

BLAZEOFGLORY

I've took some apart to find out there to far gone to be repaired maybe Kevin a Classygauges.com may be able to help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

zenzone

I've took some apart to find out there to far gone to be repaired maybe Kevin a Classygauges.com may be able to help.

Thanks, what parts made you realize the speedo was too far gone? Is there a bushing in there that goes bad and let’s the magnet and speed cup get too close to each other?

I have read he is good at repairing the clusters I might have to go that route if I can’t figure out how to get it apart on my own.

BLAZEOFGLORY

I never when that far into the head of the speedometer the part that wears out they don't make a replacement part for it that I know of.

OP
OP
Z

zenzone

I think you are right, it’s really hard to find any info on web that says how to repair the speed cup. Seems like no one repairs the speed cup anymore.

Thanks for your replies.

Zen

I never when that far into the head of the speedometer the part that wears out they don't make a replacement part for it that I know of.

BLAZEOFGLORY

Yea it's usually good or bad when I'm testing one if the needle sticks after cleaning and lubing it I'll change the face or tinker with it for about 30 min and then move on.