• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stainless Windshield Hinge

BulldogBronco

I’m interested in replacing my windshield hinge with one of the stainless ones and wanted to see if anyone has done it and how hard it was. The paint is all chipped on the hinge and it leaks when it rains so looking to fix that and leave it unpainted stainless. Is there a way to do this without having to paint the rest of the windshield and did people weld or do rivets?

xltboy

I bolted mine in. Used hex head flat head screws and i think they were 10-24. Used stainless screws and stainless nylon lock nuts. It can be bolted in with the dash installed however is much easier to bolt in the hinge without the dash, add the dash and then put the windshield frame on.
Xltboy

OP
OP
BulldogBronco

BulldogBronco

Thanks for the answer, would you end up having to repaint the windshield in that scenario?

xltboy

I put mine in when i was doing all of the body work so i painted the windshield frame separately and then bolted it in. You would need to fold it down, drill out the spot welds holding the hinge to the body, remove the windshield frame and then drill out the spot welds holding the hinge to the windshield frame. you would then need to paint the body and the windshield frame where the hinge was originally spot welded on. Not the worst job and if you plan to fold it down from time to time or more frequently then it would be worth it, Otherwise might be best to just touch it up and never fold it down again.
Xltboy