• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering box play - is this much "normal"

RottenBanana

Hey Guys,

The post title pretty much sums it up. I'm going to a collapsible shaft on the lower (while eliminating the problematic ragjoint), and going to rebuild the upper as it has all kinds of noises lol.

I recently installed an all new Bump Steer Eliminator kit from Duffs, ball joints, bushings etc.

My question is - does this seem to be about the normal amount of play seen in these steering boxes?

At the wheel
At the steering box

Thanks!

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I see the pitman arm moving with the input shaft, as it should. Your play is somewhere after the steering box.

OP
OP
R

RottenBanana

I see the pitman arm moving with the input shaft, as it should. Your play is somewhere after the steering box.
Any common culprits? Everything is new from the pitman all the way to the knuckle from the Bump Steer Kit, including ball joints etc. even from the knuckles out as I added disc brakes.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I presume you are doing this with the engine off. And you have a power steering gearbox.
Yes, that play is normal to an extent.

Inside the steering box is a torsion spring. It keeps the spool valve centered. When you put a steering input into the steering box the spring flexes, changes the fluid flow through the ports in the spool valve. The more the spring flexes, the more the ports direct fluid to assist in the steering. As a safety there are stops in the system where you never loose the steering connection even if you loose power steering pressure.

What I see is you rocking the torsion spring from stop to stop. With the engine running, you will have almost none of that.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Again, how much play do you have with the engine running? Engine off will always look worse than engine running.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the video of box, looks to me like the steering column knuckle turns at the same time as the output arm of the steering box. Thats as good looking as my 2023 jeep jl.

If it drives poorly, lots of other components to consider, and unless the steering box is very high mile, I would think that would be a lower probability of issues./

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
It might be a touch too much. But you can see the tire move with that much input. I’d fire it up and take it for a drive and see what it’s like with assist and going down the road.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Any common culprits? Everything is new from the pitman all the way to the knuckle from the Bump Steer Kit, including ball joints etc. even from the knuckles out as I added disc brakes.
I would look for movement at the track bar ends. That also makes the body shift side to side if there's enough resistance to keep the tires from turning.

In the video you're not putting enough force into the steering wheel to twist the torsion bar so it doesn't have an effect yet. When the torsion bar twists it absorbs movement at the pitman arm. You can clearly see the pitman arm moving and that movement is being allowed to happen somewhere.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
LOL, if you trust the keyboard warriors on Facebook, you're in for all kinds of wrong answers from all the "experts"
So true. Not only did I try to explain why there is visible play with the engine not running. But have not heard back what happens when the engine is running and the system is at normal operating conditions.

OP
OP
R

RottenBanana

So true. Not only did I try to explain why there is visible play with the engine not running. But have not heard back what happens when the engine is running and the system is at normal operating conditions.
It's been a busy day man, I'll let you know :)

I've got kids in competitive sports, and my wife working overtime because of a municipal strike in the town we live in. Sadly the Bronco takes the back burner sometimes

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
It's been a busy day man, I'll let you know :)

I've got kids in competitive sports, and my wife working overtime because of a municipal strike in the town we live in. Sadly the Bronco takes the back burner sometimes
get your priorities straightened out!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I have found play in the steering column before on my set up. once it was the lower bearing, and then the upper bearing. I tracked it down another time to the U-joint in the tilt mechanism. All off them been repaired or replaced.

OP
OP
R

RottenBanana

I presume you are doing this with the engine off. And you have a power steering gearbox.
Yes, that play is normal to an extent.

Inside the steering box is a torsion spring. It keeps the spool valve centered. When you put a steering input into the steering box the spring flexes, changes the fluid flow through the ports in the spool valve. The more the spring flexes, the more the ports direct fluid to assist in the steering. As a safety there are stops in the system where you never loose the steering connection even if you loose power steering pressure.

What I see is you rocking the torsion spring from stop to stop. With the engine running, you will have almost none of that.
I finally ran to the garage! And I appreciate your response, but oddly it's exactly the same when the truck is running.

It drives well, I just want to lose the slop. Some mention tightening the screw on top for preload and others say not to touch it. What say ye?