• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stock or gear reduction starter?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm swapping out the C4 for a manual and will need a different starter. I see a lot of cheap gear reduction starters avaliable. Is the reason these little starters cost less is they get by with a motor less than half the size of the origonal? Should I just buy an old fashioned type replacement? They have always worked good for me. So, should it be big or little??:? This is a daily driver for my wife and I. All the parts that go into it have to be of good quality.

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Go for the mini starter. I have them in both of mine and they work great!!!

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
What brand and how long have they lasted?

One of them was on the Bronco when I bought it so I honestly can't say. The other one I got from WH but have only had it for a couple of months. When I was investigating this, I had found alot of folks liked them and had them for years.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I ran a gear reduction starter for about 3 years before I killed it. I did run in some deep mud a couple of times and it had mud inside it when I tore it apart so I really think that led to it's early demise.

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the mini starter and it works great. It uses much less amps to start and it's easier to get to the bolts to install it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those are the main reasons I think most people change. Size and amp draw.
Around here, they're not much different in price, so that's not usually stated as a reason. But everyone seems to like being able to hoist it up into place easier, clearing headers easier (staying cooler too, theoretically) and less draw on the battery.
They spin up pretty good too, and have that "later model" sound that is kind of cool to hear on our old rigs.

Nothing wrong with the old-style starters, just that the new ones seem to have those slight advantages stated, and were what Ford went to in later years.

Paul

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
So what brands are good? The ebay cheapies look just like the ones carried by the Bronco Vendors. Are they the same? What about the Pro-Comp model?

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
There are lots of gear reduction starters on ebay. They are identified for auto or manual transmissions but aren't identified for 164 or 157 tooth flywheel. Is there a difference?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Considering i can get a stock replacement at napa for 60 bucks ill stick with that for now! Until i actually use a gear reduction one i cant say that its any better, and for 300 bucks!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
it doesn't cost $300 for a mini, you can get a late model ford mini for $90 all day long with no core charge. they're permanent magnet instead of brush, which is their main advantage. but they draw half the amps and weigh less than half a stock one. they're weak link is the planetary because the main ring gear is plastic. but i've only seen 1 blow because the engine kicked back and chipped a tooth.

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=34